Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Answering Questions ~ Part Three

If you were ever to decide to rejoin the Amish, would you be welcome to do so?

Yes, we would be welcomed back. We would have to go through a period of proving time which lasts anywhere from six months to a year afterwards if they thought we showed proper repentance we would be accepted back as members in the church.

How did it feel to have to start paying taxes after leaving the Amish?

Amish pay taxes. They are exempt from paying into Social Security because they sign a form promising they will never collect from it or any other form of  insurance. Most Amish don't even accept refund checks.

Do all Amish burp to show their appreciation for a good meal?

No, they don't.  I'm guessing you saw the movie "Saving Sara Cain" where there was burping. I shared my thoughts about it here.  I have never been in any Amish community where that was practised, nor have I ever heard of any community where they do that.

What food, other than the usual celery is served at Amish weddings?

The only Amish weddings that serve celery are Lancaster and it's daughter settlements. The wedding menu is usually chosen by the brides parents and varies slightly from family to family.

At our wedding we had creamed potatoes, gravy, fried chicken, meatloaf, roasht, sweetcorn, seven layer salad, and bread, butter, special wedding peanut butter, and a special wedding jam. For dessert we had fruit, several kinds of cake, two kinds of pudding, and four kinds of pie. The bridal party had all of that plus our favorite foods.

How old do you have to be before you are allowed to drive a horse and buggy?

There is no set age when you can start driving a horse. It again varies a lot from family to family plus on the ability of each child. I was twelve when I drove our horse the first time, with Mom or Daddy sitting right next to me. I was fifteen at the time I started driving by myself.

Do you still sew your own clothes?

I don't sew very many clothes any longer. Rosebud has her eye on a piece of fabric that she is hoping I turn into a dress for her, so that will probably be my next sewing project.

What was the hardest thing about leaving the Amish?

The hardest part of leaving the Amish was knowing how deeply it would hurt my parents, and that our relationship would suffer because of it.

Mine is a simple question. I realise tradition is a huge part of Amish life. But I cannot understand the shunning of one who has left the order.

Do you see your parents or family at all?

When someone leaves the Amish they think they are heading down the wrong path and to serve as a warning to the members of the church and hoping that by doing this it will make those that have left reconsider their ways. They have a members meeting after church services where they excommunicate them by practising 1 Corinthians 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.  The thought of being handed over to Satan is terrifying especially since we used to believe that if a person died before they were accepted back into the church there was no hope for them.

Any person that is excommunicated is shunned 1 Corinthians 5:11. We can still go see my parents, though they are happy to see us there is kind of a cloud of sorrow there as well. When my Grandma passed away we stayed at my parents house overnight. They gave us a bed, plenty of food, we visited, but we couldn't sit at the same table to eat, and we weren't allowed to help them work. They won't accept gifts from us, but birthdays and Christmas always brings packages in the mail from them.  Our relationship has changed. We don't call and talk with each other every week like we used to, they don't come to visit us, but there is no doubt in my mind that they still love us.

17 comments:

  1. I'm really glad to hear answers to all the questions with confidence that the answers are true & honest. Several years ago I read a few of the fictions on the shelves in the stores, but it didn't take long to see how shallow they are. They don't even come close to the value of a firsthand account of Amish life. Thank you, once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Magnolia -- your memories are appreciated, just as our understand grows. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mentioned that the Amish shun in hopes that doing this will cause the person(s) to reconsider their ways...what are the odds that someone will come back to the Amish after they have left? Have you known anyone to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Sweetie...
    What a beautiful heart warming share this morning. I love that you share with us. It has helped me to understand the life of the Amish, and also that piece of your life.

    I can't imagine the adjustments you had to make, and still continue to make each and every day of your lives. We are taught to follow our hearts, and sometimes that is hard for our parents to accept. Your faith is pulling you through sweet friend.
    Thank you for sharing with me this beautiful glorious Wednesday. I can't wait to read your next post. It always makes my day.

    Many country hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in a community where there are a lot of Amish. Your answers really help me understand them more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your reply, and for allowing us to ask the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's SO good to know you some loving contact with your parents. I was afraid they might be avoiding you altogether. A strained relationship is better than none at all, but I will continue to pray that in His time there will be complete reconcilliation. None of this has taken our Lord by surprise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In this Easter week, we remember that Jesus Christ died for US(not just Amish). Hebrews makes it so clear. His once-and-for-all sacrifice ushes ALL Christians into a clean conscience and an eternal salvation. One particular faith isn't the forgiver, God is and has if you are a practising Christian of ANY faith. God knows our heart and motives. In your own way, you are bringing great joy to many, many people. That is one of your spiritual gifts, and God sees that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, again, for clearing up the misconception I had regarding 'shunning.' I'm glad that you still have relationship and visits with your family. I feared that it was 'silent' because of your leaving of the Amish. Hopefully,the relationship will be restored to a full one again in the future. Our God is able to do impossible things!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What kind of stove did ur parents have when u were growing up, a gas or a kerosene? Also did u have a gas or kerosene fridge? What is the difference between bottled gas and natural gas?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy your blog. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roasht sounds a bit like a turkey stuffing or dressing as some call it. I think it is considered stuffing if you put it in the turkey and cook it that way and dressing if it is baked in the oven without the bird. In either case your wedding food sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing with us again through these questions. I am so happy to read that being shunned doesn't mean all relationship is over with your family. That is better than I was thinking it meant. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too, am so glad to hear you still have a relationship with your parents. How I wish I could see mine again, but I guess I will, when I get to Heaven! :) Thanks you for sharing your life with us! ~Diann

    ReplyDelete
  15. We never had roascht in my community. In fact, I've never heard of it. I'm fascinated... will you share the recipe at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops, I didn't realize I was on my husband's account when I posted this... wanted you to know where it was coming from:

    We never had roascht in my community. In fact, I've never heard of it. I'm fascinated... will you share the recipe at some point?

    Thanks, Mary Ann, for answering all these questions. It's all so interesting to hear these answered from a fellow former Amish person... so many similarities, yet so many differences.

    Many blessings to you,
    Saloma

    ReplyDelete
  17. What is special wedding peanut butter?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.