Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. What color is prominent in your home? Are you glad about that or wishing you could cover it up or remove it?

Downstairs it's white / light. If it were up to me every wall in our house would be white. Unfortunately the upstairs has dark brown paneling which is something I would not choose. It makes everything feel smaller and less clean.

2. What's something you'll NEVER do again?

I don't necessarily care to use the word never, especially after being aware of the many things I've done that I used to say I would never do.

I have no plans though to ever own a horse and buggy again to be used as my main source of transportation.

3. Tell us a couple of ways you fit the stereotypes associated with your gender, and a couple of ways you don't.

Being a wife, mother, and homemaker is something I have embraced and really love that I guess could be thought of as a stereotype.

A few ways I don't fit is that I don't have a lot of clothes, shoes, accessories, and no makeup. I have one outfit to wear out and about. If I need to go somewhere several days in a row I simply make sure to wash it in the evening. I have two pairs of shoes. One for church, and the other for everything else. It will soon need to be replaced though because I've noticed that after six years there is a tiny hole in the toes of the left shoe.

4. May is Motorcycle Awareness Month. Have you ever owned a motorcycle? Ever ridden a motorcycle? If the opportunity presented itself would you hop on a motorcycle and go for a ride?

I have never owned a motorcycle, and really have no desire to. I've never had a ride on one, and again I have no desire to.

5. If someone wanted to understand you, what should they read, watch, and listen to?

Read ... the Bible, Anne of Green Gables, the Lily books, and my blog.
Watch ... cooking shows, and comedians such as Jeanne Robertson.
Listen ... Before the Throne by Selah, How Deep the Father's Love for Us by Owl City, and my various playlists.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

The rhododendrons are blooming again. We have a giant bush next to our front porch. I love the vibrant splash of color it gives and how it's attracting hummingbirds. I was going to add a picture, but somehow I can't get it to upload this morning.

14 comments:

  1. I posted a couple of pictures of rhododendrons on 05/12. My daddy planted some on the side of their house, and there's one on the corner of 1 of my schools. They are so beautiful when they bloom!
    We have paneling in our dining room that I painted over. It was really easy, and it got rid of that darkness.
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so neat that the hummingbirds are attracted to your rhododendrons. I didn't know they liked them. We have hummingbirds here and I'd like to provide more sources of food for them. Am going to the garden center this week and will look for a rhododendron. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we first moved to Spokane, our house had dark paneling everywhere. I hated it too. Since we couldn't afford to take it down and drywall everything, I painted it. It actually turned out very nice and when we sold that house, the lady who bought it loved the painted paneling. She said made the house cozy and gave it a cottage feel! And here I thought I was just being frugal. Ha! I hope you have a lovely day today.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am in the process of painting a dark paneled hallway. Like Betsy and Mary, I am all for it. For the first and maybe second coat if one is needed I am using Zinsser Primer Sealer. It will adhere to the paneling so the top coat of your choice will also adhere. I too have never tired of white walls. There seem to be hundreds of shades of white to choose from, though the simpler the better.
    France's Mothers Day is this weekend. Celebrate your blessed, NON-sterotypical motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would bet dollars to donuts that no one had the same answer as you for #2! Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a lot of clothes, shoes, accessories either, and don't wear makeup. I somehow have more shoes than I need, but mainly wear only 3 pairs. I wear Sketchers to work, and either a pair of brown or black flats everywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your answers. The Hodgepodge certainly does help us learn more about one another! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the other ladies....paint does wonders on dark paneling. :) I have way too many clothes. But I love the variety. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes me so happy to find someone else with so few shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Selah and "Before the Throne of God" is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't have any rhodies in our yard, but my mother has one that is positively magnificent. We might plant some as they do well here I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if rhododendrons would grow down here? I'll have to look that up. I want to plant things that the birds and butterflies love. Thanks for the tip! I bet your plant is beautiful and what fun to have the hummingbirds around. :)

    I don't have a lot of clothes or wear makeup either. I am really picky about shoes. I don't like to wear them, but have to wear something on my feet when we go out. I have an old pair of sandals that are falling apart, but I wear them around the yard. I also have a pair for when we leave the house. We bought a backup pair for if something happens to my going out pair because it never fails to happen when it isn't sandal buying season. So, I have two pairs and a spare.

    We have paneling in the kitchen, dining room, and entry hall. I'd rather it not be there. I've heard both good and bad things about painting paneling. Maybe painting it would work out well for you.

    Have a blessed day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thought I was the only woman left that had almost no clothing and only two pairs of shoes.
    I wear my stuff until it wears out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paneling must have been VERY popular at one point. Our entire downstairs was covered with it - even the bathroom! I told The Squire I felt as if I was living in a coffin. We painted it all with KILZ and papered over it. A lot of blue and white - flowers, stripes, little designs.

    One of our sons-in-law has a motorcycle and offered to take me for a spin. I am VERY claustrophobic and couldn't wear the helmet, so that took care of that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.