Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 
1. Have you ever been to and/or lived near the desert? What did you think? Travel and Leisure lists the 'coolest' American desert towns as-

Palm Springs CA, Virgina City NE, Bend OR, Winslow AZ, Marfa TX, Grand Junction CO, Silver City NM, Moab UT, Taos NM, Yakima WA, Borrego Springs CA, Terlingua TX, and St. George UT, and Tubac AZ

Have you been to any of these? Would you like to visit a desert town? Which on the list would you most like to see?

I have been to a few different deserts already, and found that I quite enjoyed my time there. Of the ones listed here I have been to Taos, New Mexico. A very lovely place!

I would enjoy seeing all the deserts on the list, and hope to someday. In fact we like deserts so much that LV and I have plans/hopes/dreams that once we retire and need a winter home, we will be heading to a desert in Arizona.

2. What's a plan or project you've deserted in the past year? 

Sadly, because of some things life threw our way, the girls and I abandoned our list of craft goals we had set for ourselves at the beginning of the year. We have hopes of picking it up in the future, but I think it's safe to say it won't be in the last three months of 2016.
 
3. Desert-dessert? Share two or three words you find yourself having to think twice about when it comes to spelling.  

Traveling ... somehow I often have the urge to stick another "l" in there.
Stationary - stationery.
 
4. High and dry, like watching paint dry, dry run, dry as dust, not a dry eye in the house...which phrase can you relate to currently? Explain. 

Like watching paint dry, and not because of all the painting that has been going on around here, though that would qualify.

There was this little gif someone shared on Facebook of a guy climbing a tower. It said something along the lines of ... you won't believe what happens when he reaches the top. I shared it with Sailor, and he sat there staring at it for a long time. Finally he checked, and discovered it was a gif instead of a video. I thought it was funny, and even though he laughed, I have a feeling that just maybe I broke a little of that trust he had in his mother. He described this episode as boring as watching paint dry.
 
5. How often do you frequent the dry cleaners? Starch or no starch?  

I have never been to the dry cleaners. As for starch, nope, no way. I did quite enough starching in my previous life, (what I prefer to call the years of being Amish) that I don't care if I never have to starch anything, ever again. I don't even like to iron unless it is absolutely necessary.
 
6. What's a food or beverage you enjoy that's named for a place? 

Water is about as far as I go when it comes to beverages. As for food hmm ... I don't really know. Sandwiches are named after some guy, instead of a place, right? Hershey bars ... maybe, though I'm not that big into chocolate any longer. Shocking, I know.
 
7. Do you need solitude? 

Somewhat. I relish my solitude in the morning before the children get up, but I do love spending all day, every day with them.
 
8.  Insert your own random thought here.

 Buddy has an eye for finding and picking up treasures, outside. The collection of sticks, feathers, seeds, pretty leaves, and stones he is accumulating is starting to be quite impressive. I find it fun to view the world through his eyes, and trying to see the beauty in things the way he does.

13 comments:

  1. Life seems to throw things at you when least expected; our life has been turned upside down this past year, but like you, I am at peace knowing things will pick back up in the near future. Have a wonderful week!
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. We once had a cat who would bring us dead birds and stuff. I like Buddy's choices of gifts much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to many of those places on the list and we live in Spokane Washington which is considered high desert. I like it much better than the rainy humid Midwest and East when I grew up. I enjoyed reading of Buddy's gifts. I miss those days when my boys would bring gifts.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that you'll be able to meet your travel goals and have a wonderful time doing so.

    I'm sorry that you and the girls had to abandon your craft goals. Hopefully you'll be able to get back to it soon.

    I'm forever putting that extra "l" in traveling, too. The same with stationary/stationery. "E" is for envelopes and "a" is for ain't movin' :) Not at all grammatically correct, but maybe funny enough to help me remember it now. Cemetery used to give me trouble, too, but not anymore. "Orchestra" got me kicked out of the 4th grade spelling be. OY!

    It sounds like Buddy has a great collection going there. I like to collect rocks, too. I don't usually see too many feathers around here, at least not as many as back in South Carolina.

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am surprised you like the desert since you don't typically like warm weather. Is desert heat different?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the years with the kids. You are going to miss it when they get older. As far as the craft projects getting side tracked, just pick up where you left off. The longer they go undone, the easier it is to ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I hadn't thought of stationary/stationery...those always get me too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandwiches are named for the Earl of Sandwich. Hershey, PA is a place but since it's named for Milton Hershey, the guy who founded the Hershey company, it probably doesn't count. Waldorf Salad and Toll House cookies are two of my favorite foods named after places. My all-time favorite is the Kentucky Hot Brown, named after the Brown Hotel in Louisville, KY. Nice plug for my state, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. To see life and the world as a whole through the eyes of a child would be wonderful. Why do we have to grow up?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to live in New Mexico. Anyone who thinks the desert is dead has never spent any time there. I hope you get to retire to AZ.

    That is so funny about your son watching the gif!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I doubt I'll ever move to a desert. I don't want to live anywhere that's as hot or hotter than it is right here on the SC coast. It's autumn and we're still having summer heat. UGH. Of course, I don't think I could handle northern winters either so...I need a happy medium. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My unfinished pile is a disgrace :-(
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.