Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. June 23rd is National Pink Day. What's your favorite something pink?

My favorite something pink to drink is Pink Lemonade. Haven't had any since last summer so I really think I need to make some soon.

My favorite something pink that I can't consume is a cover I have for my treadle sewing machine.

2. What did you enjoy most about gym class when you were in school? How about the least?

We didn't do gym in our school, however I don't think I would have liked it at all. As it was recess was something I dreaded. I much preferred my books than being outside and participating in games.

3. What memory is brought to mind by the smell of roses?

I can't smell roses. However I really like them, and one memory that always comes to mind when I see roses is how LV gave me a beautiful rose from his prized rosebush. It was the only rose ever to be cut from it. I dried it and still have it tucked in a nice little box.

4. Do you prefer to read or write?

That all depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

Some days I love entering the world of friends that live between the covers of a book, and other days there are some characters in my head that simply have to have their story told and I have no choice but write.

5. Sam Keen is quoted as saying, 'Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.' Would you agree? Is laziness ever respectable? How will you be lazy this summer?

Heat saps all the energy from me and I slow down. I wouldn't necessarily label it as being lazy, more of a survival mode.

I don't think actual laziness is ever respectable.

This summer I'll be trying to get quite a lot of writing done.

6. The Florida Keys, Disney World, or a resort somewhere on the Gulf Coast...which Florida destination would you choose (and why) if the trip were today?

Disney World is out for me. I don't enjoy crowds or standing in lines. I have always wanted to see the Florida Keys someday, though not during the summer. It's hot enough where we live that I don't want to visit somewhere that's even hotter.

7. What question do you hate to answer?

How much do you weigh?

I absolutely refuse to answer that question, and thankfully the state we live in now does not require your weight to be on your driver's license. I used to really, really dislike having it on display for anyone asking for ID when we lived in Missouri.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

On Sunday I saw something I had never seen before since we live here. I had to go pick up LV and Sailor after their day of hiking which required me to drive on a very narrow dirt road that had trees growing on both sides. Their branches touched above the road creating a tunnel of sorts. The little bit of sunlight that filtered down through it gave a mellow light. That would have been pretty enough, but what made it so much better was that there were hundreds, if not thousands of butterflies fluttering about.

Sunbeam had gone with me, and she was absolutely speechless, something that hardly ever happens.

Once we were through she got her voice back, though it was dripping in awe. "Mom, that was absolutely magical!"

I'm still kicking myself that I had not taken the camera along.

21 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What an amazing site to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds an amazing view. Shame about the camera. And weight on your driving licence???? I'm sure a lot of people here in the UK are glad that's not a requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lemonade answer reminded me of the Country Time lemonade commercials on TV. I loved those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful sight to see? Did you not at least have your phone to take a pic? I will have to look at my license and see if my weight is on there. I've never had anybody ask my weight except the doctor or the DPS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, weight on the driver's license. I've never lived somewhere where we haven't had to have it on there. Thankfully most people don't pay attention to it!

    The butterflies sound amazing! Maybe it's better you didn't have the camera - my experience is that moments like that don't capture well anyway. :)

    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was blessed to be in a similar setting a few weeks ago minus the magic of the butterflies. I was on a photo expedition so was able to capture the beauty of the overlapping trees above and the sun filtering through creating the most amazing shadows.

    As my weight is in a constant state of fluctuation these days, what's actually on my driver's license is never correct anyway. But I agree - it's really no ones business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a similar drive here. I tried to drive my husband on that road but I could never capture that time of day so perfectly like the first time. I am not sure how wed hodgepodge works but I have a question. What summer dishes does your family enjoy? I try not to cook meals that require a lot of heat in the summer months but I'd be interested to see your take on Summer meals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh bummer i would have love to have seen that! We have a number of turkey's roaming our neighborhood so every know and then we see a mother and her babies but i can never get my camera or phone in time. Plus my dog chased the mom in my backyard a few years ago and the babies hid in the bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great memories both the roses and the butterflies. So glad you got to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to drive through a maze of butterflies. How exciting that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to see the Florida Keys also. If South Carolina weather is anything to go by, the fall or spring would be the best time. Definitely not the summer.

    Last weekend I took my son and daughter to one of the beaches near Charleston - I told them we had to leave the house by 9 a.m. or the trip was off. By 11 we had to leave the beach because it was so hot.

    October and April are so much better. To me, October is the best since the water is still warm and we like to swim in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to see the Florida Keys also. If South Carolina weather is anything to go by, the fall or spring would be the best time. Definitely not the summer.

    Last weekend I took my son and daughter to one of the beaches near Charleston - I told them we had to leave the house by 9 a.m. or the trip was off. By 11 we had to leave the beach because it was so hot.

    October and April are so much better. To me, October is the best since the water is still warm and we like to swim in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like that was a beautiful dirt road. Wonder where it is.

    Oh, I never knew there were states where you didn't have to give your weight. I have an embarrassing story about mine.

    I didn't realize that my license had expired on my 27th birthday, so I had to go in a few days later with my mother-in-law.

    Well, during my engagement one of the things she criticized me for was for my weight. It was humiliating. So having to change my number from my previous weight on my license was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot believe when people are so thoughtless as to ask someone how much they weigh. I wish we could leave it off our drivers license. I have to admit though that I lie about mine!! Have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't like crowds or standing in lines either. The nerve to ask for a person's weight for a driver's license. Mine just has my height and eye color.
    That scene with the butterflies sounds breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When my husband and I were driving through Cherokee, NC, we were surrounded by swarms and swarms of butterflies.

    Maryland has always asked for your weight, and if it changes by more than twenty pounds, you're supposed to get a new license. You can imagine how well *that* is followed! However, we do get two tries at the picture that goes on the license, so that makes up for it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That *does* sound magical - always happens that way: magic=no camera. Magic isn't meant to be captured, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of the BIG reasons I love my new cell phone: A great camera that's always with me! I don't like missing those amazing sights either! I've been capturing some awesome sunsets lately! But then again when you're focusing on taking a photo, you're not focusing on the experience of seeing...

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of the BIG reasons I love my new cell phone: A great camera that's always with me! I don't like missing those amazing sights either! I've been capturing some awesome sunsets lately! But then again when you're focusing on taking a photo, you're not focusing on the experience of seeing...

    ReplyDelete
  20. How pretty that sounds. I also love my phone for that reason. It takes such good pictures I never use my camera anymore.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,
    The butterflies sound lovely. Sometimes it is good to just experience and take it all in.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.