Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Heart of the Amish


"Time heals clean wounds. Soiled wounds fester and infect."  This quote was one of my favorites as I read The Heart of the Amish.

   Growing up in an Amish home intentional forgiveness was something that we were taught by example. Thinking back over certain happenings I'm thankful for my parents calm response and how they showed us the power and freedom that comes through forgiveness, whether or not the offending party ever feels remorse for their actions or words.

  I remember how I used to think that their ability to forgive was something that comes with being grown up, but having been an adult myself for a while now I have come to realize this is not the case.

  Reading this book filled with true accounts of intentional forgiveness has been refreshing. What I didn't realize at the time I read it was how I would soon be glad I had my mind filled with all things forgiveness related as we were handed a doozy to practice on.

  I won't share any particular story from the book, other than mentioning the fact that one pertaining to something that happened in my childhood and how my parents chose forgiveness is included. I would recommend this book to anyone that has ever been hurt, anyone that has ever struggled with forgiveness, anyone that wants peace and freedom in their life. Yes, it is that good!

  I wasn't asked to do a review, I simply wanted to share a little about a great book with all of you.

20 comments:

  1. Just requested it! Thanks! Any other good books? I plan to read your books to my daughter when she gets older :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read "Before Green Gables" by Budge Wilson. It's really good, especially if you're an Anne fan.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review! Any time that I am tempted to not forgive someone I remind myself (or the Holy Spirit gently whispers to me) that anything that person has done to me pales in comparison to my own sin for which Jesus and suffered and died on the cross. Anyway, one of the most admirable things about the Amish community is their determination to forgive those who have hurt them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fascinated by your comments as it relates to your situation. Do your parents not have " forgiveness " as it regards your decision ? How do they quantify that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will take a whole blog post to answer. Keep checking back and I'll try to write one up.

      Delete
  4. I will order this book, thank you for sharing your views. I love your childrens names :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! This will be a good read I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgiveness is wonderful if you can practice it. Not very good at it myself I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes time and determination. As some say ..... Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgiveness starts with a decision of the mind. You should never wait to "feel like" forgiving before doing it...because that is not likely to happen. If you make a decision to forgive and be consistent about it, the feelings of the heart will eventually follow. It is not easy, and sometimes you will feel like giving up...but it can be done. Decide to forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found it in the Ibooks shop and can't stop reading!!
    Thank you for sharing!
    So happy for the lessons of forgiving
    I will never be the same person again
    It turned my life around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning to forgive is life changing! Glad you like the book.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing this book , Mary Anne. I plan to read it soon. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  11. Just finished the book and it has moved me! I plan on doing some letter writing of my own so that I can carve a path to forgiving and forgiveness. Thank you. Which story was yours family's by the way? Very well written book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.