Last week was very ordinary for us. I enjoyed every day and nothing is standing out to me as having been extra fun, except maybe when LV and I were going to do our grocery shopping and were so focused on our interesting conversation that we actually missed the exit. That was a first and amused both of us even though it meant driving an extra eight mile.
2. April 10th is National Sibling Day...do you have siblings, and if so are you close? Share a favorite story featuring one or all of your siblings. If you don't have siblings, did you ever wish you did?
I have five younger brothers. I was close to the oldest three and while we don't get to see each other often we still enjoy visiting on the phone. My two youngest brothers were only 3 and 5 when we got married and sometimes it feels as if I don't even know them.
You can read one of my memories here.
3. Is it important to you to 'buy American'? Why or why not? How much of an effort do you make to 'buy American'? If you're not American, insert your own country in the blank.
I'm always happy to see something was made in America, but the price of what ever I buy determines my purchases a lot more than the country of origin.
4. Besides The Bible, what book has impacted your spirituality in some way?
There are two books that I have found very inspirational and encouraging. Ten Peas in a Pod shares the Pent family story of how they memorized the Bible and traveled the country. It shares a lot of humorous stories, it's convicting and encouraging, but never preachy. Our whole family loved it! Then there's The Pineapple Story about missionary Otto Koning. The book is good, but we enjoy his audio series even better. The Pineapple Story is only the first of fifteen stories he shares, unfortunately the book, even though it's very good, only shares the first one
If you have time you might enjoy hearing the Pineapple Story here.
5. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes. Do you find rainy days calming or depressing? When were you last caught in a rainstorm? What's blooming in your neck of the woods today?
I love rainy days. The last time I was caught in a rainstorm was last fall when LV and I went on a walk one Sunday afternoon and a shower popped up. So far there is nothing blooming in our neck of the woods, but I'm sure it's just a matter of days before I see some brave Coltsfoot blooming.
6. What's your favorite yellow food?
My favorite yellow food is pineapples. I enjoy them fresh, in fruit salads, in cookies, cakes, and puddings, in Hawaiian main course dishes, and I have been tempted to bake a pineapple pie, but so far I have never tried that.
7. April is National Poetry Month...what's a poem that holds special meaning for you, and why is it special?
The poem that holds the most memories for me is 6x9 The story of a little girl that was struggling to learn her multiplication tables until she called her favorite doll, MaryAnn, fifty-four. It helped her until one day when the teacher asked her the answer to 6x9 and she answered, "MaryAnn!"
I liked the poem, but I hated reciting it. The year I was in sixth grade I had to recite it every time we had visitors in school. Somehow it made me very uncomfortable having to use my own name.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
We have friends coming over for supper tonight and I'm still trying to put the final touches to the menu. If you were coming over, what would you like me to serve with fried chicken and mashed potatoes.