Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Shoo-fly Pie

While I was growing up our family always had some type of baked goods to eat with our oatmeal at breakfast. Cakes and cookies were our favorite and pie would often appear as well. Especially cherry or Shoo-fly.

I often wondered who ever came up with making a Shoo-fly pie for the first time since it's a very cake-y type of pie and normally you wouldn't think of baking a cake in a pie crust, but somehow this really does work.

Rosebud was reading some Amish stories and Shoo-fly pie was mentioned which made her want to have some. So last evening I helped her bake several. I tweaked the recipe ever so slightly by substituting the lard with butter. I don't have the usual pail of lard tucked in a pantry like we used to and butter worked perfectly.




Shoo-fly Pie

Crumbs:

2 cup flour
¾ cup dark brown sugar
¹/³ cup butter (softened)
½ tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon

Syrup:

1 cup molasses
½ cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup hot water
1 tsp. baking soda

In a medium size mixing bowl combine all ingredients for the crumbs and mix by hand until uniform. Set aside. In a clean mixing bowl combine molasses, sugar, and eggs. Mix well. Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add to the molasses mixture. Mix well and measure one cup full into (each) bottom of two unbaked pie crusts. Top with half of the crumb mixture. Divide leftover syrup evenly between the two pie and sprinkle remaining crumbs over the top.

Bake at 400º for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to 350º and bake an additional 30 minutes.

 
And this morning the children each enjoyed a small slice of Shoo-fly pie with their oatmeal.

15 comments:

  1. That looks deliciously good. Thank you for the recipe.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the recipe. My dad liked it but I don't remember that he put it in oatmeal. We usually had cake or chocolate chips for our morning oatmeal...I tired of daily oatmeal, but it was a must! I never could eat it without the extras...

    Always enjoy your postings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall try to make this recipe tomorrow. Rae has never had or even heard of shoofly pie, so we'll see how he likes it.

    You hadn't mentioned your Aunt Vernie lately. Is she well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recipe looks delicious with lots of crumbles on top! I'm always afraid to order shoo-fly pie at a restaurant because they run the gamut from delicious to ho-hum. Homemade is always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love shoofly pie! It is different but really good.....not like a regular pie. Thank you for the recipe because I can not find mine.

    I have wondered about your aunt, too.

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you!!!! Looks like my husband will be getting some authentic shoo fly pie :-) He bought a slice to bring home the last time we were in Newtown at the Farmer's Market and it disappeared with a cup of coffee... * that quickly! Now, if there was just a way to take out the calories....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up singing "Shoo-fly Pie and Apple Pan Dawdy" without knowing what they were, but loved the tune. As an adult, I learned about them, but never found a recipe. Now, I can have both and try them. Thanks for bringing back childhood memories of Dinah Shore singing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to try some!

    I told my husband he must have been switched at birth because he LOVES sweets with his breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never tried Shoo Fly pie until last summer. I bought it at an Amish roadside stand in Springs, Pa and I was hooked! I tried to make it once and that was a disaster! So now I just drive the 40 minutes to her stand every 3 weeks or so to buy hers! Well worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, I'm off today and have a pie crust in the refrigerator (yes, it's store-bought, oh well). I may just give this a try - I like everything that's in it and I feel like being creative and making something today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    We visited Amish country up in PA a couple years ago and enjoyed a piece of this pie with one of our meals. I've been wanting to make it ever since. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I grew up on Shoo Fly pie, but The Squire had never had it before we got married. Now he's a convert, and both of our local grandkids enjoy it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.