Friday, May 14, 2010

The Mouse

My best friend Nancy and I were the only girls in my grade since cousin Emma and her family had moved away. Nancy and I always did everything together. Often after our lessons were done for the day our teacher would get us to help the lower grades study spelling or drill them with flashcards. We both enjoyed it very much.

One day as we were dismissed for recess we went to visit the outhouse. For the past several weeks there had been signs of a mouse snacking on the paper products but we had never seen it so it didn't bother us very much. Today however when we open the door the little creature was sitting between the two seats. It stared at us for a little bit with it's beady little eyes and then darted up the wall and sat on top of the wall.

Nancy and I both froze and then turned around and ran back to the school house to get several brooms. We told the boys that they needed to kill a mouse. They told us to chase it out and they would be waiting outside to get rid of it. As the boys gathered around outside to make sure the terrified little mouse doesn't escape Nancy and I armed ourselves with brooms and went back inside to see if we could chase it outside to meet it's fate. The mouse had no intentions of being chased outside and kept running all around the top of the walls until Nancy and I were quite dizzy trying to keep track of it.

After a while the teacher sensed unusual activity on the playground and came to see what we were up to. After sizing up the situation she took my broom and with one deft stroke hit the mouse which made a flying leap right down one of the holes.  The boys were disappointed that they weren't our heroes after all and Nancy and I both shuddered at the mouse's fate and refused to use that hole for the rest of the school term.

8 comments:

  1. Good Morning!
    I just love your stories about your youth...thank you so much for sharing them!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! Not a very pretty demise, that's for sure! Funny story!
    Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your childhood with us. I truly enjoy reading it.
    Funny story, so sad about the boys not getting to be heroes tho.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a good chuckle out of this story! It reminded me of the time my brother lost his tooth and insisted it had to be washed so he could keep it. He placed it in cereal bowl of water for the longest time! I refused to eat out of that bowl for years and years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, my favorite character in this scenario was your teacher. There seems nothing prissy about her. There is a job to be done, and she is the woman to get it done. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your delightful stories always seem to stir my personal memories...hope you don't mind my sharing...
    Our first home had an unfinished basement which housed our washing machine. I found it convenient to keep several baskets down there for daily sorting and collecting of dirty laundry...when a basket was full, that load was washed. One day I scooped the whites into the machine,added hot water, detergent, bleach, and started the action. About 45 minutes later I proudly collected the clean clothes to hang out in the sunshine. To my HORROR, a mouse laid spread eagle in the bottom of the machine!!!!! DH did the laundry for the next 3 months, as I couldn't step foot in that basement. We have a tiny wooden mouse ornament in our Christmas collection to commemorate the event!
    Busy Hands...Happy Hearts
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol that reminds me of critters seen around the outhouse at my Grandparents when I was young.

    Good story

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! That poor little mouse. That is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.