Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 1. When is the last time you experienced nostalgia? 

It seems I've been experiencing it a lot lately. Most recently was last evening as Sharon and I were preparing supper and she started singing Blessed Assurance. We sang the entire song together as waves of nostalgia/memories swept over me. It used to be Mahlon's favorite song when he was a little boy and he'd sing it all the time while playing. I can still see him sitting cross-legged on the floor with kittens in his lap petting them and singing them to sleep with this song.

 2. September 29th is National Coffee Day. Do we need this? Ha! So are you a coffee drinker? If so how many cups per day, and tell us how you like it. Is there a recipe you enjoy that calls for coffee as one of the ingredients? 

I wouldn't call myself a coffee drinker, but in the past year I have learned to enjoy iced coffee from Sheetz a few times a month. Their dark chocolate, blackberry flavored one is my favorite. Aside from that, I don't drink any coffee.

I can't think of a recipe I have that uses coffee other than a chocolate cake, but I don't really care for it that much.

 3. Do you find praise or criticism to be more motivating? Explain. 

 Constructive criticism can be helpful, but at the same time praise from someone whose opinion I value is also very motivating.

 4.  What's a television series you keep coming back to and re-watching? 

I'll watch Andy Griffith occasionally. It's been a long time, but we used to enjoy reruns of I Love Lucy and the Dick Van Dyke shows.

 5. As the month of September draws to a close give us three words to describe your mood. 

Happy or maybe I should say joy ... it feels a little deeper than surface happiness.
Fall-sy ... fall always evokes feelings of wanderlust, coziness, anticipation of doing fun crafts, projects, baking, and a happiness that I can't really describe in a single word other than fall-sy.
Content ... can't explain this either, but there's a feeling of deep contentment these past few days.

 6. Insert your own random thought here.

Earlier this month there had been underlying feelings of unease and being unsettled. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on. I took a step back from my online presence and spent more time outdoors. I did a lot of sewing, reading, and baking. Steven and I played a ridiculous amount of games, and I focused on all the little things I enjoy so much.

It finally clicked for me ... it's September. It's two years since my brother passed away. Once I identified the source of those underlying uneasy feelings I was able to deal with it and move on to the three feelings I mentioned above.

14 comments:

  1. I really appreciated your #6 response. That is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I also appreciated your #6 response. Very important and so helpful.
    I too have been feeling joy as autumn draws in. Inexplicable in these, but joy. The joy of the Lord, without a doubt. It will be our strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think stepping back from online life now and then is healthy and gives us new perspective on so many things. Hymns make me nostalgic too. I miss the old fashioned church pew hymn Sunday night sing alongs from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss singing hymns in church. Most of the songs now are chorus's. I'll hear a song and also hear my Mom singing the alto part in my mind. Our son bought me a bluetooth speaker when he was home last Thanksgiving. I have all sorts of hymn playlists on my phone and have them on almost every day in the background. Piano, vocal, children singing. I enjoy them all.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We like I Love Lucy but haven't watched it lately. Dick Van Dyke is another we used to watch a lot with the boys.
    It's good you were able to recognize the reason behind the unease you were feeling. August is like that for me each year.

    Have a blessed day!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could relate to #6. I felt the same was because I was missing my dad. I like watching I Love Lucy. It makes me think of when I was a child and the whole family would watch it together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your answers so much, especially your thoughts on the three mood words.
    Stepping away from online and making the changes sounds like great advice.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Church hymns in church always feel nostalgia. The Andy Griffiths Show was my late hubs favorite show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those anniversary seasons are always a little bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're feeling so happy and content right now. I hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blessed Assurance has always been one that I love. My son is 17 and loves to listen to hymns when we're in the car. He even sings along with me.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, certain times of the year do that for me (#6), especially February. Now I know to expect it. Next September, you will be more prepared. I do like your solutions--books, games, nature.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like coffee, only Organogold. It’s made with mushroom . Great words. All seasons are beautiful. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.