Friday, January 31, 2020

Random Bits + A Recipe

     This morning when I checked Facebook I had a new invite to like a page. That wasn't surprising. Hardly a day passes that I don't get a new invite or two. I usually ignore them, but the name of the page I was invited to like intrigued me enough that I hopped over to check it out before deciding not to accept the invitation.
      For some reason I decided to take a look to see how many other page invitations I had waiting to accept or decline. The sheer number surprised me. Nine hundred forty eight! It would take way too much time to go through and decline them all, so I'll resume ignoring them. I wonder how long it will take to get to an even thousand.
~~~~~
      I'm looking for a light hearted fiction book to read next. Something that's fluff, an easy read that hopefully gives me a few good laughs.
     I finished a book earlier this week that was more of a heavy read. Disturbing actually, at the end of the book I closed it and became covered in goose bumps. I hadn't thought it would affect me quite like it did, but being reminded of the horrors the Native Americans suffered at the hands of those in authority was chilling.
     So light hearted fluff is what I need to read next to balance out my reading. If you have any suggestions I'm open to hear them.
~~~~~
     I have two new pie recipes I'm considering to bake tomorrow. Both fascinate and scare me just a little. Which should it be, a grape pie or a poppy seed pie? Decisions, decisions, decisions.
~~~~~
    I got multiple requests for the recipe of the Bob Andy pie I had made earlier this month.  So here we go.

Bob Andy Pie

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
4 Tbsp flour
½ tsp. cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter (melted)
3 eggs, beaten separately
2 cups milk

Mix dry ingredients. Add milk, melted butter, and beaten egg yolks and mix well. Fold in beaten egg whites. Pour into 2 unbaked pie crusts and bake at 400º for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350º and bake for an additional 30 minutes.

11 comments:

  1. I've never made a grape pie & I've never heard of poppy seed pie or Bob Andy pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love poppy seed cake, so that pie sounds promising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever read the childrens book series from the 1950's called "The Borrowers"? I bought them for our granddaughter but I read them all, (there are 5 books), in a few days. Now my husband is reading them and enjoying them too.
    I bought the set of five books on Amazon for around $25. I think your children would enjoy them too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Betsy. The "Borrowers" is a great set! I got them for my eldest (now 57) and read them to her sisters, then passed them down to the grandchildren and great-grandkids. If nothing else, the Clock family is a handy explanation when things to missing around here.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful pie, a little like an egg custard pie. I have never come across a grape pie or a poppy seed pie either. I love the wonders of blogland where I can learn so many different things from others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Grandmother used to make grape pie, but I have never heard of poppy seed pie. Poppy seeds are ok in sparce amounts, but not sure about a pie. I am very fond of the cozy mysteries by Amanda Flower who also writes under Isabella Allen. The cozy mysteries she writes are very light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of those pies are unfamiliar to me, but might well be very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a good "fluffy" book, try one by Chautona Havig. Some of her books, especially the Christmas ones, are just plain fluffy; most of them will make you think. All are worthwhile! Here are my reviews of a lot of them: https://www.learningresourcedirectory.com/?s=chautona+havig (Can you tell she's my favorite author? I don't get any compensation personally for these reviews--I just love her books and love to share them with people!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not tried either a grape pie or a poppy seed pie - you will have to let us know when you decide.

    I really like the Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter by Susan Wittig Albert. A fictional account (series of books) of Beatrix's life between the death of her first fiancé and when she married with the story told both from the people and animal perspectives - not truly "fluff" but very well done and they left me feeling good. I also like her Darling Dahlia's series, also well researched but not quite as cozy. I like them because they're set in the 1930's, which is when my parents were children and the stories feel familiar. Technically, they're both classed as mysteries but I like to call them "stories with a good plot"!

    Enjoy your weekend,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grape pies are a regional specialty a couple of hours from where I live, and I've had them several times. I understand they are a lot of work, but are they ever delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love seeing the different recipes you're trying, even if many of them I won't end up using... It's always nice getting new recipe inspiration.

    I'm not very good at giving book recommendations. I read so many that I can never decide which to recommend. It's easier if you ask me for children's book recommendations, because I can just point you to mine. But as for something for you... I just don't know where to start! Oh well. I hope you found the light-hearted next read you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.