Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Bedtime Stories

Every evening Steven will look through our pile of twenty to thirty library books and choose several for me to read to him before he goes to bed.

He would be perfectly capable of reading them himself, but he still enjoys hopping up on the side of my chair, halfway on the arm rest and halfway on my lap while I read them to him.

I still really enjoy it too. 

I know the time will come when it will be the last time we have our bedtime stories like this. I also know, just like so many other previous last times for things, that I will not be aware that the last time is happening as it happens. And so I thoroughly enjoy each time I am blessed with as we read through our current week's assortment of books.

I enjoy the little discussions we have after each book. He will share his opinion of it and whether or not he wants to check it out from the library again someday.

We've read hundreds and hundreds of books already. Most of them are quite forgettable, but occasionally we'll come across one that we both really like. Recently we had another one of those. We both loved the ending of If a Horse had Words.


Tonight we'll be reading several more books and later this week we'll be heading to the library to exchange them for a fresh pile of bedtime stories, and I'm already looking forward to the enjoying that special part of the day together.

9 comments:

  1. Great moments that will live in both your hearts for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What precious moments to share. I sometimes wish my kids were still little. Sometimes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, such great memories. I used to love to read to my children. Last time my grand-daughter was her with her sons, my great grands Conner who just turned 6 in Dec. read books to me. More memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I remember reading to our girls, and when Lorelei is here, I used to read to her.

    But her favorite thing after we went to bed was for me to tell stories of when I or her papaw or her mom and Aunt Rachel were kids. She is 10 and still occasionally likes those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to have that bedtime ritual together. Both our girls are grown now, but every now and then I wish we could go back and spend one day doing those things together that they so quickly outgrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading to the family is such a treasured time. I remember doing that with my boys and then with the granddaughters. Precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED reading to my children at nap time and bedtime. I the summers I would often read to them till very late at night because we didn't have to get up for school in the morning. We went through many book series.

    Of course I also enjoy reading to my grandchildren now, but it's not the same as being able to do it night after night. Can't do a series when it's only an occasional thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED reading to my children at nap time and bedtime. I the summers I would often read to them till very late at night because we didn't have to get up for school in the morning. We went through many book series.

    Of course I also enjoy reading to my grandchildren now, but it's not the same as being able to do it night after night. Can't do a series when it's only an occasional thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss my pile of picture books to read. My children are 24, 22, and 19. At this point, I hope to be able to have a pile of picture books to read to a future grandchild someday. It’s one of the things I miss the most about having little ones.

    I did manage to read chapter books to them...but that all ended about 7 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.