Monday, November 12, 2018

Green Gables

The Anne of Green Gables series has been a favorite of mine since the first time I read them some twenty plus years ago. When I heard that someone wrote a book about Marilla's life before Anne, I knew I wanted to read it.

I put a request in at the library in hopes I can get it soon after it's released, and before long I was notified it was ready for me to pick up. I liked the cover, which made me feel hopeful that I will indeed, enjoy the book.



Settling in to read, it soon became apparent the author was no L. M. Montgomery. My first cringe happened at only page 16 where Marilla met her mother's twin sister for the first time. This was her reaction …

Marilla shrieked and jumped back, clutching her chest and accidently knocking over the box of yarn.

  ….. the sisters looked at each other, scowling  the same scowl, which made Marilla want to cry for terror.

I tried to ignore the unrealistic reaction and continued reading and enjoying the book. I found it oddly weird though when Marilla fell in love with John Blythe. Not because there was anything wrong with the story or the way it was written, but in that I was unable to fully connect or allow myself to fall with her, because I already knew (thanks to the Anne books) that the relationship would not lead to Marilla's happily ever after.

There was a scene that happened between Marilla and John, that made me feel uncomfortable. I read it with one eye squeezed shut and only peeked out of my other one as I hurried over that part.

There was quite a bit of political chatter happening in the latter half of the book which I didn't care for.

On the plus side, we finally find out what the fight was that caused them to go their separate ways, and Marilla's reaction when John married someone else.

I wasn't sure how there could possibly be a good end to the book, but the author pulled it off, and I actually really liked the ending.

Overall it was a good book. I didn't love it, but I did like it. I don't think I'll be buying my own copy though.

On the other hand, Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson was an excellent addition to my Green Gables collection. I really enjoyed reading about Anne's life before she was adopted, and knowing that she will have a happily ever after when she was sent to the orphanage gave the book an entirely different feel than the Marilla book.

15 comments:

  1. Hi I ordered this book for my library and was so excited about it. I read it last week and I was disappointed as well. The part about Matthew and his lost love was sad and touching. I agree about the political parts too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also felt bad/sad for Matthew.

      I'm glad I read the book, but it wasn't my favorite. I would probably have loved it more if I had read it before any of the other Green Gable books.

      Delete
  2. I just finished reading this book about an hour ago. I loved it! I guess it is one of those times where the saying, "to each his own" would be applicable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved it. I hope many other people will love it as well. I don't regret reading it, but I don't see it as a book I'll read when ever I read the rest of the Green Gables series, whereas the book "Before Green Gables" actually qualifies for that.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to check out Before Green Gables.

      Delete
    3. I loved it, as did my daughters. Hope you do as well when you read it.

      Delete
  3. I really want to read this!! I’m actually currently read the Anne series and loving it. ♥️♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So happy that you are loving the Anne series!

      Hope you enjoy this book if/when you get to read it.

      Delete
  4. I'm curious - what was the political talk about? (I don't mean details - just the general subject).

    One thing I found really interesting about the book "Rilla of Ingleside" was how many Canadians opposed entering WWI. Nowhere near a majority, but it seemed to be a pretty mainstream opinion that Canadians didn't need to fight Britain's war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The political talk was centered around the things happening near the time of the Civil War.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for the review! I may check this book out of the library but I probably won't be buying it. Yours is the second review that has said these things about the book.

    I will have to check out "Before Green Gables" though - that one has rave reviews wherever I've looked.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope many people will enjoy this book (more than I did).

      Delete
  6. The Anne books are my all time favorite book series. I got excited when I saw the preview picture on here, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to read it if it's not by LM Montgomery herself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of enjoyed it, but not enough to ever read it again. My oldest daughter who loves the Anne series as well, disliked the book quite intensely.

      Some people love it, so I'd say give it a go if you're interested. You might like it. :)

      Delete
  7. Hi!

    I just finished this book and I loved it. I admit- I hated the political talk and Marilla's emboldened attitude toward John did nothing for me- but I realize this was necessary to see the woman she becomes and why. I'm like you though, and need to read the end before the beginning. If it doesn't end well, the book gets thrown into the discard pile. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.