Friday, October 19, 2018

The Little Things

When I went to the website that shared Mahlon's obituary I noticed they had the option to sign up for a daily grief support email. I went ahead and signed up. 

The first few emails that came, if they had been on paper I would have crumpled them up and thrown them in the trash. I seriously considered unsubscribing, but decided to give it a few more days.

I'm glad I did. While some days I like what they send a lot more than other days, none of them make me feel like throwing them away.

Today the email included this paragraph:

We spend a lot of our lives looking forward...forward to a vacation, a milestone, or even just the weekend. It is from loss that we realize that looking beside us is where we find the real joy. Our friends and loved ones are the people with whom we share our daily lives and with whom we build the most lasting memories. It is our shared morning coffee, a quick phone call or email, or watching a favorite tv show together that really defines the simple, yet most impactful joys of life. While the sadness of loss is startling, take it as an opportunity to look and see what is beside you now. Treasure those people and those mundane moments, for they are what really matter most. 

I have to agree. I want to continue treasuring the ordinary little things in life that have always meant so much to me already. And I'm so very glad for all those little ordinary things I used to do with my brother. Those are memories I'll treasure always. 

I had kept all our text messages and chats on Facebook. Last night I was reading through them, so thankful I never deleted them. They made me laugh, others made me cry, but all of them are treasured. 


6 comments:

  1. Marianne, thank you so much for sharing this today. It is very appropriate to where I am in life. Probably a lot of others too. You remain in my prayers every day. Much love and many blessings. Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. this also speaks to were I am at in life. It is a good reminder that even with our focus on our Lord to take time to be thankful for those He has placed in our lives. I will continue to lift you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. I really needed this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! So glad you kept all those messages. They are a huge blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely message! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely message. I am a new reader of your blog and want you to know that it is so interesting and I love coming here to visit

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.