Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Reader Hodgepodge

1. Tell us about your favorite way to get lost in a simple activity — running, chopping vegetables, folding laundry, whatever. What’s it like when you’re in "the zone"?
I spent way too much time sitting here trying to think how to answer this, but I can't think of any activity I do that I get lost in. Probably because the house is never quiet long enough to give me an opportunity to do so. There are simple tasks I can do without really being aware that I'm doing them, such as peeling potatoes and kneading bread dough, but that's usually because I'm busy talking to one of the children, not simply wandering off in my imagination.

2. When it might hurt their feelings, how do you feel about telling your friends the truth?
I won't lie, but if it's not absolutely necessary I will avoid saying something that I know will hurt a friend's feelings even if it's the truth. Just because something is true, doesn't mean it has to be said.

3. Do you talk with your hands?
My hands seem to want to join the conversations I have. Quite uninvited. I haven't figured out how to get rid of that habit. Even worse though is how my face will contort in different ways to match the emotions, and facial expressions of who ever I'm listening to. Only it never looks as good on me as it did on the original person. I never realize I'm doing it though, and really, really wish I knew how to stop that!

4. What kind of milk did you drink, growing up? And now?
Growing up we drank raw milk from our Jersey cow. It was the best!

Now, we buy our milk at the store, while I dream of the day when I can have my own little cow again.

5. What age do you wish you could permanently be?
Thirty is a pretty good age. Had I had the option I probably would have wanted to freeze time then assuming of course it would freeze for the entire family. Life is good, even though everyone keeps growing older.

6. What is the most annoying question that people ask you?

I could answer this question, because there is one I get all the time, but I value friendships more and will answer what ever questions I receive. (Other than this one)

7. What do the Amish do to stay cool during the summer?

With out the option of using an air conditioner or a fan our bodies seemed to get used to the summer heat. We didn't do anything special to try to stay cool other than having the windows open and allowing the breeze to blow through the house.

8. Random bit.

Fall seems to have arrived here in our little corner of the world. The big maple tree in front of the house has already lost over half of its leaves, but it's been so wet that we haven't been able to keep them raked up.

6 comments:

  1. Number two. If only more people abided by your conviction. There would be so much more happiness and less hurt feelings in the world.
    I agree about the heat in the summer too. I grew up in the Midwest where it was not uncommon to have temperatures over 100° and high humidity. We played outside all day and went about our normal inside tasks. No one had air-conditioning in the small town I grew up in. Now I melt if the temperature gets above 80! Have a lovely day Marianne. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your name spelling in the first comment. AutoCorrect kept changing it and I didn’t catch it the last time. I’m so sorry.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot and humid this week in Nebraska. Hoping for cooler weather this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree on the number 2 also. I keep my mouth shut if its something hurtful or doesn't need to be said. I also grew up drinking raw cow's milk from our neighbors. Truthfully, I am happy to have 1% milk anymore ;-) Fall has struck up here in northern Minnesota. Although Sunday we had 89 and Monday it was 62. Today its 61 cloudy and gloomy out. Leaves are falling like crazy and I have an enormous amount of trees which I love until they lose their leaves and I have to rake and haul them out. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a few days until it will officially be Fall. It has felt very Fallish for a couple of weeks here and I'm enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess everybody has trouble with #2; I certainly do.
    The Squire says if I didn't have hands I'd be speechless! I probably ought to put this habit to good use, and learn sign language.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.