Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. The first day of summer rolls in today. What are ten things you'd put on your list of  quintessential summer activities? Will you try to manage all ten this summer?

Eat an ice cream cone, go berrying, take long walks in the woods, have watermelon, go on picnics, read, spend time on the porch while it rains, playing in the creek, listen to the wind chimes, watch fire works, and for me ... plan next year's school.

2. Do you collect seashells when you're at the beach? What do you do with them once you get them home? What's your favorite place to comb for seashells? How many of these 'best beaches for hunting seashells' have you visited? Which one would you most like to visit?

Calvert Cliffs State Park (Maryland), Jeffrey's Bay (South Africa), Sanibel Island (Florida), Shipwreck Beach (Lanai Hawaii), Ocracoke Island (North Carolina), Galveston Island (Texas) and The Bahamas

We have picked up seashells when we visited the beach. Once we get them home they get cleaned, and then the girls squirrel them away for craft projects and decorations for a later day.

I haven't been to any of those beaches.

3. At a snail's pace, shell out money, come out of your shell, go back into your shell, drop a bombshell, happy as a clam, clam up...which 'shell' phrase could most recently be applied to some event or circumstance in your life? Explain.

At a snails pace.

We're in the middle of red tape. Applying for permits, and other legal stuff and then waiting for all the important people to get their part done takes sooooo loooonnngg.

4. What summer activity do you dislike? Why?

Sitting around a campfire in the evening is something I don't enjoy at all. Bugs all seem to feast on me. Maybe if I were more selfless I wouldn't mind it so much, but I'm not there yet.

5. What's something you see as quickly becoming obsolete? Does that bother you?

Letter writing/pen pals. Technology seems to have taken over. While I do enjoy the convenience of email and texting, I do miss all the letters I used to receive. Mail time is much more fun when it includes letters from friends.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

The girls, Steven, and I have been enjoying hikes, and berrying lately. The wild strawberry season is basically over. We found only a handful yesterday. It will still be a while before the blueberries and blackberries are ripe.

Yesterday, this was part of our day.


4 comments:

  1. I was sitting around a campfire last night with three other people. I was the only one getting bitten by mosquitoes. I don't know if it's my fair skin or what. Usually we don't even have mosquitoes up here in the mountains of Washington, but with our cooler, wetter spring than normal, they have decided to visit this year. I love your summer plans. I'm listening to my windchime right now as I type this. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. mosquitos love me, too! I wonder if we taste especially sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bugs are attracted to me more than anyone in my family. I'd love to take more long walks in the woods but I'd come back half eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be fair skin, coz I get eaten alive, too. honestly, being outside is no fun - I burn, campfire smoke follows me around, and I can get poison ivy if the wind is right. (Or is that wrong?)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.