Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. Have you ever been fishing? Did you catch a fish? If so did you keep it or throw it back? If you haven't been fishing is that something you'd like to try?

I have been fishing. My earliest memories of fishing I was but a toddler. My parents would pack up a picnic basket and go to a local dam where we would meet up with my Aunt Mattie, and her husband. I had my own little fishing pole, and I loved reeling in the line. I don't recall ever catching anything with it, but I really enjoyed those evenings.

When we moved the next year we started going fishing at Grandpa's big pond. We'd all get into his rowboat where we'd eat our packed meal while we fished. That only lasted a few years until we moved again and then I didn't get to fish until after we got married. Life has become busier and it's been years since I have been fishing. I think I'd still enjoy it though.

Fish out of water, big fish in a small pond, living in a fishbowl, packed in like sardines, this is a fine kettle of fish, plenty of fish in the sea, fish or cut bait...which fishy phrase most recently applies to some area of your life?

Fish out of water. Being surrounded by people that I have basically nothing in common with tends to make me feel like a fish out of water.

2. What's something you're always fishing for in your purse, wallet, desk, or kitchen junk drawer?

A pen. I don't have a kitchen junk/catch all drawer, but I dig for pens every day. In my purse, at the desk, in my stand I keep next to my writing spot. I have plenty of pens, but somehow I still have to fish for them.

3. Your favorite fish tale or movie?

Finding Nemo .... it's all that came to mind though I would be fine never watching it again. I haven't seen many fish related movies, though as a second thought, does Andy Griffith count?

4. Are you sunrise, daylight, twilight or night? Explain why you chose your answer.

Sunrise ... I suppose. I love getting up in the morning with an entire day ahead of me filled with hopeful possibilities.

5. What's the oldest piece of clothing you own and still wear?

Stockings. They're all that remain of my Amish days. They were the ones I wore on my wedding day almost eighteen years ago and then on Sunday's after that. I still wear them to go to church. Not that anyone ever gets to see them though. They're beginning to show their age and will probably need to be replaced before too long.

6. We've got one more month of (officially) winter here in the Northern hemisphere. Are you feeling the need for a getaway? What's been the best and worst part of your winter so far?

I would love a getaway. Not to get away from winter though. The best part of winter so far has been the snow we had. The worst part is all the warm days, mud, and general yuck.

7.  The Wednesday Hodgepodge lands on National Margarita Day...will you be celebrating? Frozen or on the rocks? Are you a Jimmy Buffet fan? If so, what's your favorite JB tune?

I will not be celebrating. Alcoholic beverages aren't for me. Not a Jimmy Buffet fan either and as such I don't have a favorite tune from him.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

We were asked to share our family picture for a project LV's brother is doing. We realized it has been years since there has been a picture that included our entire family. On Saturday a friend was here and she was kind enough to take a few for us.

Here we are.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely family! Even though I only have 3 boys, it's very rare when we're all together these days to get a family picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo. It's often hard to get everyone together and then have someone around to take the photo as the kids get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely family photo. I seem to have a problem with pens, too. I have plenty around but just can never find that one I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful family you have! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great family photo! No snow this winter for us...and I'm A-OK with that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great picture of your lovely family. Your kids are beautiful/handsome. Isn't it interesting that so many of us went fishing with parents or grandparents yet have obviously not shared that with our own children or grandchildren. Its a new day, isn't it. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely family photo! I'm with you on Andy Griffith. He made fishing seem like the most relaxing and enjoyable hobby in the world. I do find it relaxing, even if I don't catch anything. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful photo
    enjoy following site

    ReplyDelete
  9. The groundhog seems really off this year in prediction, unless what he meant was six more weeks of winter starting in March. I was WEEDING this AM and enjoying the little blooms..but also wanting winter like it is suppose to be in February. At least you were able to take a wonderful winter family photo in tee shirts. Thanks for sharing.
    Pens...always afraid I won't have one when I need one, so each time I leave the house I put one in my purse. When I clean it out, I can count as many as ten pens at the bottom. I know, pen paranoia big time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds as if fishing has many fond memories for you. Yes searching for a pen is something that I do much of the time. I get up before sunrise but not always hopeful at that moment daylight would be my time of day
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely picture of your family!

    I am with you on the mud and yuckiness of winter. My husband works in construction and it's been two months of endlessly battling the mud he tracks home. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely family photo. I enjoyed reading your answers...I wish I would have thought about Andy Griffith...there was a lot of fishing going on in that show...it is one of my favorites that I have enjoyed for years and years! They don't make 'em like that anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful family picture. Our winter has been horrendous this year with record setting snow, while some people, like our daughter in the D.C. Area haven't received any. I'm ready for winter to end. I often feel like a fish out of water. I'm happiest at home and not around a lot of people.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never have a pen either! I think people here must eat them... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw sunrise too; I am totally a morning person!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sunrise too, and I'm completely with you on question #7. I had not thought of Andy Griffith on the fish story question, but that would be perfect! Lots of fishing in those episodes.

    What a lovely family photo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a lovely portrait! Most of the time our pictures catch everyone looking in a different direction. Or making odd faces.

    I've never been fishing but The Squire has. His father simply lived to fish, and got up every morning at some outlandish hour to sit in the cold in a boat.

    Oddly enough, the oldest item in my closet is my mum's Coast Guard coat from her service during WWII. Still in excellent condition! They don't make 'em that way anymore. It hasn't been cold enough this winter to need it, but I have worn it gratefully in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice family picture! Very fun to see you all together. Why is it SO HARD to get a family picture, haha! I guess one reason might be that you need someone to hold the camera!
    OK, I'm seeing that pen-eating-purses are just normal. Rats. I keep hoping I'll find one someday (not likely when I only get a new one every ten years or so, haha) that does NOT have an appetite for writing utensils!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.