Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. What do/did you call your grandparents? If it's something unusual tell us the story behind the name. If you're a grandparent what do your grands call you? Who chose your moniker?

Both sets of grandparents were called Dawdi and Mommie. There's really no story behind that, other than it's what Amish children call their grandparents.

2. Ever taken a road trip along the California Coast? If so what was the highlight of your trek? If not, any desire to do so? If you were to take a trip along the California Coast what's one attraction you'd have on your must-see list?

We have never taken a trip along the California Coast, but would love to someday. Seeing the Redwoods would be a must and I'd also want to visit Mendocino and Big Sur.

3. What are three things you don't know how to do?

There are a lot of things I don't know how to do. Three obvious ones are flying an airplane, performing surgery, and training killer whales.

Three things I would like to learn to do are ... speaking French and Spanish fluently, play several different musical instruments, and draw/paint photo realistic pictures.

4. Tom Peters is quoted as saying, 'Celebrate what you want to see more of.' If that's true what will you celebrate and more importantly, how will you celebrate?

Kindness.

This world seems to need a whole lot more of that.

5. Thursday (February 16) is National Almond Day. Do you like almonds? Which would you prefer-an Almond Joy or a macaron? What's something you make that calls for almonds?

I don't particularly enjoy almonds, so I won't be observing National Almond Day this year. I don't think we make anything that calls for almonds, though Rosie Mae does find ways to incorporate them into desserts and salads occasionally.

6. What does Saturday morning look like at your house?

Saturday mornings are still a lot like they used to be when we were Amish. It's the day to thoroughly clean the house in order to have it sparkling and shiny for Sunday. Mornings are spent cleaning and scrubbing. Not exactly in a frenzy, but in determination to get it all done before noon so the rest of the day can be spent with books, fun hobbies, and simply relaxing.

7. Share with us a favorite book you've read this winter.

The Waiting by Cathy LaGrow. It's a true story of a young mother having to give up her child for adoption and after many, many years of searching finally being reunited.

It's really good, and I would certainly recommend to anyone and everyone.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Yesterday, being Valentine's Day, the girls had planned a day filled with fun Valentine's related things. Yummy foods, games, gifts and more.

Since Flynn Ryder is their favorite Disney character, they decided to make a pin the nose on Flynn Ryder game. I thought it turned out nicely, and Steven especially thought it was a hoot trying to get the nose where it belongs.

11 comments:

  1. I so agree with you on the need for more kindness. There's a severe shortage of it, especially in our country right now. I enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge. Hope you have a lovely Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know it was an Amish custom to get the house clean for Sunday, but it makes sense. When I worked outside the home, we always cleaned on Saturdays.
    That's a great drawing! So glad you had a nice Valentine's Day.
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book sounds good. In fact, I just got on the waiting list for it at my library. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was blessed to have all four of my grandparents until I was an adult. My mum's parents were Grossvater and Grossmutter. My dad's parents were Nana and Pop.
    The Squire and I flew out to California in the 80s to visit his brother, who lived in San Diego, and then took a bus up to San Bernardino to visit my cousin. Beautiful place, but so, so crowded! Hop over to my blog later; I'll tell you about our trip to Pomona!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kindness and gentleness have been mentioned several times in this week's Hodgepodge. Mommie and Dawdi - I've heard those terms before, probably in some of the Christian Fiction books about the Amish. Great idea to get all the house cleaning done on Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. training killer whales....LOL - You are brave. I'm visiting from the HodgePodge list...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cleaning the house on Saturday was always a tradition in our home as well and I grew up in the deep south. I suppose it was the day we girls were home and share the responsibility. But, I'm not sure I understand why you scrub and clean again on Monday morning. Just curious. The game sounds like so much fun and the sketch is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We live in California and we speak Spanish and French, so if you ever come this way we have to get together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back in the early 80s, I flew to San Francisco, where I stayed for a few days (including driving up north into the wine country and to Muir Woods to see the redwoods there. Then I drove down the coast to San Diego, where my aunt, uncle, and cousin lived. It was just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try duolingo.com for free lessons in French, Spanish and other languages like Irish. I am trying to learn French right now. You can set your own goal of how much you want to learn at a time, and keep reviewing lessons anytime you want. So far I am 1% fluent in French :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. My goal is practicing ten min./day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.