Friday, September 12, 2014

Apple Bars

There's a big old apple tree growing in the field behind the house. I have no idea where it comes from or what kind of apples it produces, though I would like to think it's a descendent of one of the trees Johnny Appleseed started.

It yields the most beautiful, big, juicy apples that taste different than any other apples I have ever eaten. Totally delicious, and worth the effort to go pick them before the cows eat all the ones that drop.

With an abundance of apples on hand we decided to try some new apple recipes. It paid off and we now have a new family favorite. One that I know we'll be making often.


Apple Bars

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice

Mix well until nice and crumbly. Press half of it into bottom of a 9x13 pan and bake at 325 for 10 minutes. Set remaining crumb mixture aside while you make the filling and the crust is baking.

Filling:

1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 egg
2 cups apples, shredded (about 2 apples)

Mix all together and spread evenly over crumb crust as soon as you remove it from the oven. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.

Enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. That sounds heavenly. I have some Honey Crisp in the fridge right now. Will have to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a recipe I will be trying. Thanks for sharing it with your readers.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try it. The sour cream provides a very refreshing and tasty filling. Already planning to make some more tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Gonna try these tonight! Maybe it will put us in a fall mood even though it is 90+ degrees out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple and pumpkin products always put me in the fall mood.

      Delete
  4. These look delicious and seems very easy to make. I'm going to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very easy to make. Hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. Just printed this, can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing the recipe. What a blessing to have such a unique apple tree to harvest from :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you and your family will enjoy them. It really is a blessing to have that apple tree. Most times wild apple trees have smaller gnarled apples, but this one produces huge, beautiful ones. I was so happy when the children found it!

      Delete
  6. sounds and looks yummy! I think I'm going to be trying this with our apples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! That looks good! I grew up in NW Pennsylvania and my parents had 2 big apple trees. They only produced little green apples but made the best applesauce and pies. I always like to imagine Johnny Appleseed planted mine too! Did you ever find your wood block puzzles? I found one retro-design one here (although when my kids were young I did find a made in Germany one but can't find it now).
    http://www.schylling.com/p/story-block-puzzles
    These are cute, although unfortunately made in China. But it is all I could find to replace one we had years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I haven't been able to locate the wooden puzzle I had been looking for. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  8. Oh..p.s..although not pictured on that site, it comes in a little wooden box with a slide-lid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!

    My name is Elin and I have read your blog and I really liked your recipes! I work for a website called myTaste.com and I would love for you to join us!

    www.mytaste.com is a search engine that collects food blogs. We already have over 3000 blogs and if you join us you will take benefit from the trafic that we are sending to your blog.

    Add our widget and hopefully with your recipes your blog will be on the top of the food blogs list!
    If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me at info@mytaste.com

    To join myTaste, just go to www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

    Best regards, Elin
    mytaste.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those sound yummy! I'm looking forward to browsing through some of your posts, I'd be happy if you'd stop by my blog and say hello, sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm I saved this recipe to try this year. We have a church potluck each week and it's a good way to make something like this and not have it around the house tempting me all week yet I get to try it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.