Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. The Wednesday Hodgepodge this week falls on John Chapman's birth date. He's more famously known as Johnny Appleseed...what's your favorite variety of apple?

I really like a lot of different apples but, my favorite variety of apple is Fuji. So delightfully crisp, sweet, and juicy.

There is a variety though that I keep looking for and so far have not been able to find. My search is a little more complicated since I can't remember the name of the apple but I do remember how it tasted.

It was a Saturday afternoon, the winter I was sixteen, and the fruit peddler had stopped at our house. The back of his truck was loaded with bushel boxes filled with apples. Mom bought several bushels of Yellow Delicious and before the peddler left he tried to sell her a bushel of a brand new variety. She wasn't interested knowing that Yellow Delicious were the family favorites, besides this new variety was more expensive.

The peddler gave her one to sample, sure that we would want to buy some the next time he made his rounds.

Mom came into the house with the funny shaped apple. It was much more flat than the apples we were used to eating and the color was intriguing as well from yellowish green spots to a dark reddish purple. It didn't look very appetizing to me.

That evening Mom peeled it and we each got two slices. Biting into it there seemed to be an explosion of flavors. Almost as if I had a bite of an apple, grapes, and pears. We all loved it and wished we had bushels and bushels to enjoy. We were looking forward to the next time the peddler came so we could buy some.

Unfortunately by the time he got to our house he was sold out of that variety. Too many other people had been wanting them too. We never did get any more of those apples and I will continue sampling new kinds when ever I have a chance in hopes that I will be able to find them again.

2. When did you last say 'ick'?

Yesterday, leaking diapers have a way of making me say that.

3. Do you think there's a generation gap? Explain.

I think this varies a lot from family to family. I never felt that way and was always close to my Mom and grandparents. We all loved talking so there wasn't much chance of any of us not understanding how the other was feeling.

4. What's on your computer screen saver? Do you leave it alone or change it often?


My computer background is a picture of a patch of lily-of-the-valley flowers. I change it once a month or so. My screen saver is bubbles and I never change it.

5. If you had the attention of the entire world for two minutes, what would you say?

I would ask them to forget their differences, life is much too short and precious to be focused on that.

 
6. Four fashion trends to try this fall are-brocade/jacquard (fancy printed fabrics), peplum, lace, and printed pants...which of these four would you be most likely to wear?

I'm really not a fan of any of those options though lace does sound the nicest to me.

7. What can make your bad day better?

Having little arms flung around my neck and hearing the words "I love you, Mom"  is always a day brighter.


8. Insert your own random thought here.
 
The way the yard looks in front of our house I think it's time to start raking leaves even though they have only started falling.

13 comments:

  1. Could be an Alkmene or Belle de jardin although I'm not sure about the spots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nearly spit apple juice on my keyboard when I read "brocade/jacquard (fancy printed fabrics)". Jacquard is a type of loom, and brocade is a type of weaving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We back up to woods so raking is crazy. And cleaning the gutters too, because they fill up so fast this time of year.

    I tried to comment back to Mackenzie, who left a similar comment on my blog but I couldn't access her profile? Anyway-I mentioned fancy printed fabrics as a descriptor rather than a definition...lots of people in the HP don't want to bother googling something and would rather I just give them something to work with : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now kicking myself for choosing granny smith over fuji. What was I thinking???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mackenzie, we wouldn't want to get apple juice on your keyboard. Glad you found something amusing, however jacquard and brocade can also be fabrics.

    Jacquard fabrics have a raised design or pattern woven into a fabric as opposed to being printed on the fabric. You can find some here:
    http://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fabric-jacquard-fabric.aspx

    And you can find brocade fabrics here:

    http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/search/search.aspx?source=searchbox&keywords=brocade&gclid=CKWrocvM07ICFclM4Aod3ikAVw

    ReplyDelete
  6. The apple could be a grapple which has a grape flavour to it. Your apple sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We always enjoyed MacIntosh apples during the cold winter nights as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what is the connection between suzanne fisher and yourself for your new book Lily?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gala apples are the ones I usually come home with, but if McCouns are available I'll grab those. I wait for the Winesaps for making apple sauce.

    I'm with you on the "ick" for leaky diapers, but I haven't had the occasion to say it for a few years!

    In Mackenzie's defense, jacquard refers to both the loom and the fabric it produces. Brocade is distinguished by the use of metallic threads or embellishments. I'm not a fan of wearing them either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We like testing different kinds of apples too. If we buy them, we usually come home with galas or fujis, along with a few others to try. If we get them on my in-law's farm, it's whatever is ripe at the moment. I'm not sure what apple you would be talking about, but maybe this site can help.?

    http://www.applejournal.com/useall01.htm

    They have a table on there that is very easy to read. They have 12 pages of apples and their descriptions. Maybe you can find it there :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe your apple was an Asian apple or apple pear. I don't remember them having purplish spots, but they might. They have a pear-like flavor. I like your fall leaves picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of apples like that but hope that one day you get the chance to come across them again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I get that they're fabrics, that was never in dispute. (Though jacquard looms are really cool! They're like analog computers!) It's the "printed" part that made me nearly spit out my apple juice. Printing implies ink.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.