Monday, November 28, 2011

Things You Really Didn't Want to Know


The weirdest little things have a way of amusing me. Like this cow who decided to spend some time sitting when it's not the normal cow thing to do at all. As anyone who is familiar with cows will tell you a cow is hardly ever seen in this position. When they want to get up they straighten their hind legs first and then have an awkward forward lunge as they get to their front feet too.

Having lived on a dairy for a number of years I learned quickly not to be right in front of a cow when she wants to get up! There is an amazing amount of power behind that head if you happen to be in the way.

While I enjoyed living and working on a farm, most days I don't miss cows. My first introduction to a cow was when I was a little girl and Mom got Jenny, a little Jersey cow for her birthday. They are a lot more feisty than some of their cousins, don't give as much milk but what they do give is rich with lots of cream.

From the time we got Jenny to about six years ago there was always a cow in my life. Jenny was eventually replaced with another little Jersey and when we got married I was faced with becoming acquainted to an entire herd of Holsteins. They seemed huge compared to the Jerseys I had been used to. I soon learned that for the most part they are slow calm creatures of habit that made the little Jersey's look like scatterbrained teens.

But one cow among the herd was different. A Brown Swiss. Big, stubborn and very set in her ways. I alternated between liking her and detesting her. Her calves were equally as stubborn and we learned that if we ever want them to drink from a pail to never let them use a bottle. If they used one for even a few days they would rather have starved than tried drinking out of a pail. We never let one starve but were inconvenienced with having to bottle feed until they were weaned.

The only cows in my life now are beef cattle. They live happily in the pastures surrounding our house. I think I like them best because they don't belong to us and I don't have to worry about them. But I can still enjoy watching them graze, seeing their calves in spring, and like the picture shows, watching one of them pretending to be a dog.

15 comments:

  1. She looks so cute! I have never seen a cow do that either!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that IS odd. I've never seen any cow sit like a dog. She looks kinda funny, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a cow do that! :) How funny. Thanks for sharing.

    In Christ,
    Mikailah

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so strange. We were just discussing the difference in how cows and horses get up.You can up with this and we just smile. It is an odd position.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!!!!! All I could think of was Ferdinand, the Bull!!! I remember one of our teachers read this book to us in elementary school. I Googled Ferdinand the Bull and found this!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGTVRbpAuRo

    This is so funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Informative to us that have never spent much time with cows.
    I'm no farmer or dairyman that's for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cows sitting like dogs... Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love watching cows (and getting licked by them) and there is nothing better than fresh milk or beef, but after doing cow chores in exchange for board at the first barn I kept Ozzy at, I have no desire to actually OWN one. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing!!! I am a "farm girl" and have NEVER seen a cow sit like that...Thanks for the photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's an old saying that if the cow is sitting down it's going to rain. True or not...........I don't know

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's too funny - I think she just had a hard day and sometimes enough is enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a small herd of low-line Angus and I've never seen any of ours sit like that. Almost as though it was too tired to do anything else. Cattle are fun to watch -- each personality a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was little, we lived next to a dairy farm. The smell was horrible. I bet the neighbors are glad for beef cows.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.