Saturday, July 11, 2009

Unfortunate Events

Life in our little corner of the world has been quite busy the past few days. Sunbeam had an appointment to see her surgeon, who was pleased at how she is recovering.


Her days are filled with watching the children play outdoors ..........................



And the many things that keep her occupied while sitting on Daddy's recliner.



I tried to heed all of your advice about not worrying too much about the condition of my house, and just enjoy every moment and all the visitors that pop in to say "Hi."
It led to a series of unfortunate events....
It all started one evening when we sat down to supper to one of the biggest cooking disasters that I tried serving to my family in years. We coughed and choked and gulped water to try to erase the awfulness from our mouth. There was no question about it. It simply was not fit to eat. I went ahead and warmed up some left overs and we had that instead.
As we were cleaning up the dishes I told Sailor to dump the disaster into the woods. He went outside with it, Rosy and I did the dishes and somehow I never thought to enquire the where abouts of the dish that had contained the disaster.
We went to bed blissfully unaware that another unfortunate event was about to unfold because of the disaster. The next morning, right after breakfast, I heard the distinct sound of a tractor coming in the driveway. I looked outside and saw it was a little tractor with an Amish haymaking crew. They wanted to make hay in the field next to our house.They stopped at the house and the lady and her daughter stepped off and the guy and his son went to mow hay.
I opened the door to welcome them inside. We hadn't seen each other in a long time and started talking.
Now when I talk to someone I don't focus on their feet. And apparently they didn't either because to my horror they started slipping and staggering on....... the disaster from the previous night supper.
Sailor had thought Wags would surely be delighted to have a bowlful of food, but Wags just spread everything out on the porch and left it for my unsuspecting visitors to slide on.
I was so embarrassed as I hurriedly tried to scoop everything up and dispose of it properly. We had an enjoyable visit. But now when I hear the crunch of gravel on the driveway I always take a frantic tour through the house and check the porches to make sure that nothing similar happens.




Thankfully no one was hurt. And they were able to pile on their tractor again and leave once the hay was mowed.

12 comments:

  1. You have such an interesting life! And a fun one besides; blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you can look back and laugh at the events you called disasterous. Sunbeam looks so much better, I'm very pleased. Hope all goes well with her appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. That sounds like something that would happen to me too. I'm sure they understood though. They have children too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how funny! Life with children, and all like sayings... :-)

    Aunt Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think whenever the husbands won't even eat it - it's BAAAAAD!!! They're usually pretty accomodating even if it's just to be nice. Oh yeah, and the dog!! That story is priceless. I'm sooooo happy Sunbeam is doing so well - she looks wonderful. I think I expected a cast and bars all the way up her leg or something. Those kids, I tell ya, they're little healers! Take care, girl ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunatly, one of the perils of being a good housewife, is trying new foods to please your family. Sometimes our experiments dont' always turn out! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute story! Kids are so funny! Keep trying new things, you never know when a master piece will happen, and who better to try it on than the family! ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. From an Amish perspective, this makes my day. I can only imagine what they thought when they started sliding on your floor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is bad if the dog won't eat it. Eew. I hope your visitors took it in stride. Uuh, pun was not intended, but what a hoot! I love a good pun, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness and the dog didn't eat it LOL I'm sorry I don't mean to laugh but it's actually a pretty funny story.

    Hope you're having a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you are enjoying "normal" life! Cooking disaters are our chickens' delights, our dogs have become very suspicious of large quantities of people food!

    Enjoyed the other posts that I "caught up" on. It was hard to pick out the in-law as all the men had very similar noses. The hair color was the only difference I could see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the comment about my baby! I'm glad you visited my blog because now I'm so excited to read your story. I'm new to blogging and am discovering new things and new people every day! Looking forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.