Thursday, June 13, 2024

Currently

Reading ...  after finishing up Job it seems delightful to be making my way though the Psalms once again.

In other books Steven and I are enjoying the first Warriors series. I'm enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I would.

We differ though on our favorite characters. I quite like the main character, Fireheart. While Steven's favorite is Tigerclaw, the antagonist. We had an entire discussion where he explained to me that the author wants everyone to like the main character best, but the books would be quite boring without the antagonist. That whenever he is involved in the story it is much more interesting. 

I get where he's coming from, but I don't think the antagonist in a book will ever be my favorite character. 

When Sharon came home from work Steven asked her who her favorite character in the series is and she immediately replied, "Tigerclaw" and gave the same reasons he had.

I'm curious now if I'm the odd one, and do most people enjoy the antagonists the most when they read?

Writing ... this week nothing other than a few lists. A grocery list, and then one that I'm actually kind of excited about and plan to talk about in an upcoming blog post.

Watching ... we're still doing an episode of Little House on the Prairie everyday. Is it any surprise that Steven enjoys the episodes that have the Olsen play a bigger part the most?

Listening ... to the faint sound of the wind chimes on the front porch. The breeze right now is so gentle that it is barely chiming. The second hand is making its noisy journey around the clock tick-tocking off the fleeting time. A bird, of which I'm uncertain what kind it is, singing merrily in the big maple tree here in front of the house.

Baking ... I'm planning to bake some fresh dinner rolls to go with our supper tonight.

Cooking ... last night I made Honey Pepper Chicken, Ranch Potato Salad, and sweet corn. The potato salad is one of our favorites ever since I tried it as one of my new recipes earlier this year. It's quite easy. I simply bake three pounds of potatoes for an hour, once they're cold I peel and cut them into small chunks. I fry a pound of bacon, crumble it and add to the potatoes, then chop three stalks of celery. I pour enough ranch dressing over it all to make it nice and creamy but not soupy and it's ready to serve.

I had not expected it to be the hit that it is. but I certainly don't mind.

Feeling ... happy, but tired. There's so much going on it seems and it appears to be catching up with me. I could fall asleep almost any time I sit down for a few minutes.

Disliking ... all the many oversized loads going by our house daily. They're damaging the road. I only hope once they're done the road will get fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Loving ... the warmer temperature and the sunshine. I've been so cold the past few days so I'm trying to soak up some of this delightful heat from the sun.

Playing ... not much of anything this week so far other than some Uno.

Cleaning ... I'm not done deep cleaning our house yet. I always find it amazing how fast all the little corners and tucked away places can get dirty. 

Doing all this deep cleaning has me pondering, trying to decide if I have enough gumption to tackle refinishing some furniture. Especially my china cupboard. Time has not been kind to it. Several handles are missing from the bottom drawers and there are so many scuff marks from when little ones bumped things into it as they were running through the house. 

I'm thinking I'd like to paint it an off white of some kind. Right now it's a Washington Cherry wood. 

I think I'd like the update, but would I come to regret painting it?

Creating ... I have three pieces of lightweight upholstery fabric here that I want to use tomorrow to sew some fun projects. Rosie Mae wants a hanging bag contraption to use to keep her plastic grocery bags in.

 While I make one for her I'm going to go ahead and make one for me as well, in a different fabric. It will be nice to have a proper place for them instead of where I keep them stuffed now.

The third piece of fabric I want to use to recover the seat of our step stool/ high chair/ bar stool. Not sure exactly what to call it. The vinyl seat has seen better days so a new seat cover will give it a renewed life.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about the various things in your life. I think the potato salad sounds delicious.
    We've only been in our condo for a little over a year but it feels like I need to begin decluttering already.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids and I read the Warriors books years ago; I thought the first series was very well done but later ones seemed rather repetitive (had the same complaint about the Redwall books...after about 4, they seemed rather formulaic). I think villans...or, at least, antagonists...are often more complex characters than most heroes...maybe that is what makes them more interesting to some folks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely week! I always read your blogs but almost never comment. I had to chime in on the cabinet needing to be refinished. I always hesitate to paint a beautiful wood with paint too! I’ve found that acetone strips off current varnish and stain, then a nice fine grit sandpaper to “erase” nicks and scratches, AND THEN the best wood finishing product ever: Minwax Wipe On Poly. Oh, it’s so easy! You might know about it from your parents’ business, but if not, it’s worth a try! You simply wipe the Wipe On Poly varnish on with an old rag or even an old shirt or sock! You just need a couple (2-3) thin coats and you’ll have a flawless finish! I don’t remember the work time before it begins to set up, but it’s much longer than regular brush-on varnish. Whatever you do with your cabinet, I know it will be beautiful!

    By the way, your baked doughnut recipe has been a favorite at our house ever since you shared it!

    Blessings to you, dear blogging friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think your potato salad sounds delicious, but I have such an affection for the old fashioned one I've enjoyed for so many years. I love that you can sew and repurpose things to still be useful in the present. Sewing was never one of my talents whatsoever.
    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gentle, flowing, cozy post that caused me to slow down and ponder my own week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of my children (daughter, 28; son, 22) loved the Warrior series of books when they were younger.


    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.