Monday, February 15, 2021

Currently

Reading ... in the Bible I'm somewhere in the desert/wilderness with the Israelites on their journey to Canaan. I also read Psalms 103 this morning. It's one of my favorites.

The Detective in the Dooryard
by Timothy Cotton is in my current reading pile. One of my friends on Facebook had mentioned it, and on a whim I requested it from the library. I'm so glad I did. His essay style writing is touched with humor, and keeps me wanting to read more. So far it's the best book I've read in 2021. I know we're only on week seven, but I'll let it claim the spot until another book takes its place.

I have a stack of books here to go with the state studies Steven and I embarked on. Currently the state happens to be Alabama. We have books on geography, facts, famous people from Alabama such as George Washington Carver, Rosa Parks, and Helen Keller. Some fiction books that are set in Alabama, a book of recipes, and another with crafts and projects all related to Alabama. It's a lot of fun, and I'm so glad Steven enjoys it as much as I do.

Watching ... we seem to be having a daily episode of Andy Griffith. 

Listening ... to the hum of the furnace blower as it disperses a comforting heat throughout the house, pages being turning and pencils walking across paper as Sharon and Steven do their school work, the loud tick tocks of the clock above the desk as it steadily counts down the hours of another day. I can also hear sirens in the distance. 

Wearing ... a brown maxi dress. 

Baking ... yesterday Rosie Mae and Steven made a batch of Cosmic brownies. They're so pretty! They're also pretty high on the decadence scale, which means a small bite is all I allow myself to enjoy at one time.

Cooking ... tonight we'll be having Chile Relleno Soup and dinner rolls. 

Yesterday Rosie Mae did the cooking. She loves working in the kitchen, and with Sunday being her only day off work she usually takes over the kitchen then. She made a full course meal that included Napa cabbage leaves lightly battered in a Korean pancake batter and fried in olive oil. It was so, so good!

Playing ... lots of Uno and Skip-bo lately. I don't know how many rounds of each we played this weekend, but I lost them all.

Wishing ... we had a snow blower. It would make the snow removal so much easier. We used to have a neighbor that opened the driveways for everyone in our neighborhood, but he moved last fall. Let's just say, shoveling snow gets old fast!

Cleaning ... besides the daily dozen, we are focusing on a bigger project every week. Last week that was the girls room. We washed the curtains, and basically spring cleaned the room even though spring has not yet arrived.

Disliking ... the weather forecast. Freezing rain is not my favorite. Apparently it is also the cows least favorite type of weather

They have free access to the barn and can enter and exit as they please. I find it interesting how they prefer being outdoors the majority of the time. It seems only freezing rain will get them to stay inside.

4 comments:

  1. It's snowing here today too and our water spigot at the RV park froze last Thursday so water is a precious commodity around here. Hubby braved the below zero temps yesterday and filled our fresh water tank from the only person in the park that we know who has running water! It's comforting to know we have enough to last a few days at least if we're careful. Boy, we picked a good winter to be between homes. We have purchased a new house in Nebraska, but won't be moving for awhile yet. It's next door to my mother-in-law so we bought it while it was available. It will be wonderful to be so close to watch over her.
    Take care and stay warm.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bitter cold in Nebraska today. -15 this morning with a feel like of -33. By this after noon it was -10 with a feel like of -25. Yes too cold for most. Schools of all kinds closed today and tomorrow. Glad the cows hate the freezing rain wouldn't want them to die of exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got a ton of snow this week! I feel badly for the southern US states that were not equipped to deal with it. I will take snow over freezing rain any day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you even have craft books related to the state you guys are currently studying.

    Rosie sounds like a wonderful cook. I'm sure you love getting a chance to enjoy someone else's cooking, especially when it's someone that good in the kitchen.

    I'd take snow over freezing rain any day. Hubby says I'd get sick of snow quickly if I had more than we usually do here in the UK, and while there is a chance he might be right - I mean, I can't deny that shoveling snow would get old fast - I can guarantee I'd still prefer it to freezing rain.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.