Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Wednesday Hodgepodge

I was surprised and excited when I checked my email and saw that the Wednesday Hodgepodge is back! I've missed it. Its creator, Joyce, has supplied a new list of questions this week for anyone who wants to answer.

From this Side of the Pond
1. Howdy Hodgepodgers. It's kind of fun to be back, isn't it?  Last time we met was September, 2018. Tell me something big-important-happy-or sad that's happened in your life since that date. Just one thing. We don't know how long this current isolation situation is going to last and we might need to dole out our news bit by bit.

I mentioned this only a few posts ago, but the bridal shower for our soon to be daughter-in-law was a big-important-and happy event!

2. Might as well get this out of the way early on...COVID-19. On a scale of 1-5 how serious are you about keeping your distance? Explain. fyi-I didn't create the scale but have seen it several places online. Also fyi-we won't only have virus related questions each week, but for this first one it feels right.

1-Not at all, living normally
2-Cautious but still going out
3-Going out as needed, mostly home or working from home, still seeing friends/family
4-Extremely limited, only going out when unavoidable, minimal contact with people
5-Full lockdown, no one in or out

Kind of between a three and a four. Those of us who can, stay home and don't see friends/family. But the rest of our immediate family has work that is considered essential, so they're still busy. It's straight to and from work now, though. No business lunches or enjoyable outside of the home activities.

3. Raise your hand if you think you might run out of steam in the cooking department before it's all said and done? What's something delcious you've cooked or eaten in your own kitchen in the past week?

Cooking hasn't changed that much for me. I was used to creating menus and cooking all our food anyway, so as long as I can find ingredients it's normal to me.

Recently we had two delicious things that had not made an appearance on any of my menus previously. I had been organizing the freezer and found a forgotten box of puff pastry dough that I decided needed to be used that very day. Because of all the salmon we had on hand (due to doctor's orders for LV's eye) I discovered I have all the ingredients needed to make Salmon Wellingtons. They turned out absolutely delicious.

The second delicious treat happened to be Chocolate Gobs. I have made gobs before, but was never really happy with the filling. I stumbled across a recipe for gob filling that was different, and it sounded really good so I decided to give it a try. It really was so, so good! I'll be sharing the recipe in the next couple of days.

4. What's a television show or movie you've seen recently (it could be an oldie) that you really liked?

We recorded and have been watching Seven Worlds One Planet. It's excellent. We love seeing all the animals and nature, and the narrator's voice is the best!

5. Share something funny you've seen or heard this week.

I enjoy corny puns, so when I saw this it made me smile.


6. Insert your own random thought here

I discovered an extremely easy and yet effective way to clean the vent in the stove hood. I should have done a before and after of it. I could hardly believe my eyes when the dirty gunky thing turned into sparkling clean with zero scrubbing effort on my part.

All I did was bring a big pot of water to a boil. Set a bowl in the kitchen sink and place the dirty vent into it. Once my water was boiling I poured it over the vent and added a scoop of OxiClean powder. As it bubbled and dissolved it lifted all that caked on gunk right off the vent and left it sparkling.

Easy Peasy! And super satisfying!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the hood vent cleaning tip! It's been fun to visit hodgepodgers today and see what they've been up to. Glad you can move along with not much changing for you during this pandemic. Salmon wellingtons sound delicious. Stay safe and keep the Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea of cleaning the vent, I love using puff pastry especially with desserts. Thank you for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wedding coming up, now that is exciting and good news! Loved the pun, my friends and I share really awful puns on Facebook all the time. We are always trying to outdo the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad the bridal shower was fun! I love shower - bridal or baby. Our happy news today was that our new niece was born this afternoon. We're so excited!

    Thanks for the vent cleaning tip! Now I just need a tip like that for my inside of the oven door (the window)….

    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a hole at the bottom of your oven door to put a duster type thing in to clean, however it doesn't get the gunk off. My son unscrewed the door and used steel wool to clean off the inside of the window and then put the oven door back together. Wish I could give you more of a tip :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the bridal shower went well and was fun for you. Thank you for the cleaning tip. That will be my job tomorrow morning. If you have a tip for Lea and the oven door I would love to hear it too! :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to have the Wednesday Hodgepodge back! The recipe for Salmon Wellington sounds interesting; I'll have to try that. We're both retired, so staying home is no big deal for us. I do miss being able to go to church and the library, though. It's rather difficult to tell which I miss most, but we were in and out of the library a couple times a week, and church only once, so . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I haven't cooked this much in years and years. But, I am surviving and reviving my cooking skills. :o)) We're getting lots and lots done outside and preparing for Spring. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so nice to see you here this week! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding celebration. We have enjoyed the Seven Worlds program as well. Just started watching something on Netflix called Tales in Light. It's different photographers capturing all sorts of interesting and beautfiul things around the world. If you subscribe to Netflix take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm between a 3 and 4 as well. My work is closed to the public, but in order to get paid, I still have to go, plus it helps to keep a schedule. My schedule is helping me to keep my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your menu sounds delicious! What a great tip on cleaning the vent in the stove hood. That always grosses me out ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.