Thursday, December 13, 2018

Currently ...

Reading ... I finished the New Testament last week, and decided to read the Psalms again. They're probably my favorite part of the Old Testament, and I'm taking my time with it, savoring each little morsel.
In fiction I have started the book I Capture the Castle. I haven't read much of it yet, but so far it has not disappointed.
In other books I'm loving the stack of Christmas cookbooks I borrowed from the library. I've found a number of recipes I'm looking forward to trying soon.
Then there's the stack of library books that Steven and I enjoy in our daily story time. Last week I picked up one of his favorites The Diary of a Wombat. He was excited to see it, but after reading it last night he announced sadly, "This book isn't as interesting as it used to be."
I almost felt sad as well. The book hasn't changed, but my little man is growing up and his interests are growing and changing with him.

Writing ... I wrote our Christmas letter, and completely bored myself with it. I usually write them in my style of chattering away, but this year I just did a quick "this is what happened this year to each of the children" type of letter.

Watching ... I went and deleted all the recorded Hallmark Christmas movies. There's only so much of them I can handle until it's too much for me. So instead of anything Christmas-y, last evening our family enjoyed a documentary type episode about abandoned places.

Listening ... to a play list YouTube created for me. It includes my favorite songs and songs they think I'll like. Because of that I've found some new to me songs I really like, and also some I don't care if I never hear again.

Cooking ... there's steak, fried potatoes, salad, and then Oatmeal Cake and peaches on the menu for tonight, because of a birthday and it's what the one celebrating has requested.

Wearing ... a brown and turquoise outfit. It's comfortable, which is one of the most important things when I choose what to wear.

Drinking ... mostly water, though this past week LV finally used his Starbucks gift card and we each got something to drink. It was our first time to ever visit a Starbucks. We enjoyed our drinks, but not enough that we're planning to go back.

Loving ... the glow of the lights on our Christmas tree when I plug it in after I get up in the morning.

Disliking ... when a mouse decides to move into the house. There's one that feels comfortable enough to run slowly through the house in broad daylight. We've seen it so often that the girls have named it Bella. They chose a girl name because it seems to have an affinity for chocolate and some other foods they love. We tried different kinds of traps, but nothing worked, so we finally put out some D-Con. Half of it has been eaten, and we haven't seen the mouse for several days. Surprisingly enough I feel bad about that.
Word of advice ... never name a rodent you're trying to eliminate.

Playing ... not exactly playing, but Steven absolutely loves science experiments which means I get to experience them as well. They're messy, and not my favorite thing, but the enthusiasm he has for it and getting to spend time together makes it worth it.

Yesterday ... we made our weekly library run and did a few other things out and about, which included stopping at a gas station to fuel up. I shared my experience on Facebook last evening ... I'll copy and paste it here.


    I have never liked getting gas for our vehicle. I try to avoid it as much as possible, but today I had to do it once again.
    I pulled into a dinky little gas station with a total of four pumps. After pumping gas I stood there waiting for my receipt to be printed. It didn't happen. Instead these words flashed across the screen. "Get receipt inside."
    I headed inside where two guys were visiting, one propped up against his broom handle and the other leaning comfortably against the counter. It took them a minute or so before they acknowledged me. "What can I do to help you?" the counter leaner asked.
    "I'd like a receipt for the gas I got," I told him.
    "What's your pump number?" he wanted to know.
    "I don't know," I said and gestured out the window where my vehicle and a blue pickup were at the pumps. "I'm the yellow car."
    Yellow car??!!!! Yellow car?!! I wanted to shrink out of sight as the words that apparently exited my lips reached my ears. "The silver vehicle," I corrected myself quickly.
    The guy gave me my receipt and I fled the building.
    This Mom brain … grief fog … is doing weird things.
    But really … yellow car???? Where did that even come from?

I post little blurbs on Facebook more frequently than I've been doing blog updates. If you'd like to see them feel free to send me a friend request here.

7 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the other day that I'd like to reread I Capture the Castle. I read it when I was a teenager and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had those "brain freezes" before too and wonder where the words that came out of my mouth came from! Thank you for the morning smile...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, The stuff that pops out of my mouth that just isn't what I meant to say...My kids laugh at me. Yikes! I did send you a friend request on your fb page. Would love to read your stuff there. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in my teens "Mouse" was my nickname, so I've always had a soft spot for the critters. We feed the birds and squirrels (yes, we feed the bushy-tailed ones!) outside, so we seldom get mice indoors. The Squire used to hang a dust cloth over the side of the cat food bin so anybody who fell in could climb back out. I married well, at any rate!

    That Oatmeal Cake sounds delicious. I've set it aside for after the first of the year, and will let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to chuckle about the girls naming Bella! I have never named the little rodents that invade our old house when it turns cold outside. We are not paying the gas bill to keep these critters warm! Thankfully, we have 5 outdoor cats that have been guarding the house this fall/winter, so far no unwanted guests! (Watch! I probably jinxed myself by saying that). I'm reading a chapter a day of Luke, each of these first 24 days of December - reading about the real reason for this season! Merry Christmas to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember enjoying I Capture the Castle. In fact I think I've read and enjoyed all Jeannette Walls books.
    I smiled at your "yellow car" story. Just wait until you are in your 70's. These kind of weird things will be happening a lot more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you thinking of The Glass Castle? I Capture the Castle is by Dodie Smith, written during WWII. (Dodie Smith also wrote The Hundred and One Dalmations.)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.