Friday, December 7, 2012

For the Love of Curls

Last night the children were part of a Christmas program. A kind lady came and did most of the girls hair in a lovely Victorian style up-do. Rosebud absolutely loved it and when it was time for bed she was sad that it had to come down.

This morning she was talking about working in a hair salon once she's grown up. Obviously feeling like a princess for a few hours made her want to pass that feeling along to others.

A few minutes ago Sunbeam came running to find me, saying that there's an emergency and Rosebud needs me right away. She grabbed hold of my hand and we went hurtling down the hallway while all sorts of possible emergency related situations flashed through my mind. I wasn't prepared to see what I saw as we rounded the corner and the most pitiful sight met my eyes. Rosebud was standing in front of the bathroom mirror with a comb hopelessly stuck in her hair after being substituted for a curling iron.

I tried my best to untangle it, but soon saw the only option I had was to cut it out.

Per her request we'll be keeping the picture of her new look for our family only. So instead I'll share a picture of the envelope that contains her failed attempt of lovely curls.

11 comments:

  1. Ugh! As bad as gum! This happened to me at the tender age of nine when a terribly complicated circular hair comb became entangled by my own hand in my long uncut hair. Clearly, my sympathies are with Rosebud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! Poor Rosebud. Never mind, it will soon grow again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! Rosebud.... been there, done that! It will grow back, sweet girl! Mine was so close to my scalp, that I ended up with a "pixie" hair cut. It sounded so cute and looked so ... short. I couldn't wait til it grew back; and it did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that poor thing. That hurts, too, getting it out! Well, hopefully you gave her a cute haircut and she'll learn to like it for the time being. I'm sure she's glad the pageant is overwith though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! All my girls did the same thing, as did I at that age. But, it does grow back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, poor Rosebud. My Granny used to tie my hair up in strips of rag to put curls in but my hair was determined to be straight and within half an hour of being released from the rags, those lovely bouncy curls would have slipped back to waves and another hour on, there was not a minor bend left. I am still wondering why I was put through a sleepless Saturday night every week for ten years, with all the nobbly ties digging into my neck, when I didn't even make it to church on Sunday morning with a residual curl. Funny though, my naturally curly-haired daughter spent much of her youth straightening her hair...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a note: my granddaughter caught her friends hair (veeerrrry loooonnnnggg hair) in a round brush all the way up to the scalp. We were going to take her to a salon to have it cut out, and when we called, they asked us to first try conditioner...but TONS of it! It worked, and after 3.5 hours she was free. They don't do each other's hair anymore, though! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I did that to my mother's hair when I was about five or six. Somehow she managed to get it untangled, but I was at least smart enough to avoid doing it to my own hair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When my son was 2, he asked if he could brush my hair and I said, "sure". Within 2 minutes he had a piece of my hair completely wound up the comb with a big knot. My husband had to cut it out, so I feel your daughter's pain. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did this more than once when I was a child, with similar results. When my daughter did it, I was just about to give up and cut her hair. Luckily my husband walked past at that moment and suggested we try fitting the comb! That worked out so much better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.