Saturday, February 20, 2010

Magazine Article

One lovely summer day we were pleasantly surprised when a vehicle drove in the lane and Daddy's brother Ezra  got out. Daddy quickly went to meet him and they stood there visiting for a little while and then Daddy noticed that Ezra's wife and children were waiting in the van so he invited everyone to come into the house.

It was a short day as we played with our cousins and Mom and Daddy visited with Ezra and his wife. Their driver, Jerry, spent most of his day with them which we all considered annoying. A good driver never tried to follow his passengers around or sit with them when they were visiting with family and friends.

Several weeks later we received a letter from Jerry and we were surprised to find out that not only did he do a little taxi work for the Amish but he was a professional photographer and would often write articles for different magazines. He had been impressed with our woodworking shop and wondered if Daddy would consider allowing him to come and interview him, take a few pictures and do an article for the WOOD magazine about our shop. Mom and Daddy talked it over and decided to do it, since it would be some free advertising and Jerry had assured them that he wouldn't take pictures of them.

Several weeks later Jerry came and set up his cameras in the shop. He asked lots of questions and took even more pictures. He got Daddy to go ahead and work and he would take pictures being careful to only get his hands. As the day passed Daddy started getting suspicious that Jerry was taking pictures of more than just his hands as he worked. Jerry assured him that he wouldn't even dream of taking advantage of this opportunity and take pictures that we didn't want to have taken.

It was a long day and when he finally wrapped everything up and left we breathed a sigh of relief.

Almost a year later the article was published and we felt betrayed and insulted when we read it. Not only had he lied and taken lots of pictures but the entire article held almost no truth. He even had our address wrong where people could write to for more information about our furniture.







Daddy assembling a chair with John's help and David watching.
Daddy hid the magazine and told all of us that we would take this as a lesson and never again allow anyone to do an interview or write an article about us unless we know them personally and can trust them. Over the years he would look at the pictures again and enjoy them, but time never did remove the sting of  what Jerry had written in the article.

30 comments:

  1. I was angry with Jerry just reading this. Such a betrayal!

    However, I do love the pictures that you have posted here - are they from the article. They are priceless but should not have been printed without the proper permission.

    Are those your brothers in the last picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be a personal question... but, How does it make you feel to have these pictures today?

    I would assume bittersweet... but, just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was dishonest and I don't see how he could sleep at night. But people will do anything for a story, as we know.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so thankful the Lord directed me to your blog. I love reading these kind of stories.

    God bless you and have a wonderful
    Christ centered Lord's Day,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this DOES anger one when they show no respect to the person & flat lie to them ... altho I didn't know they couldn't take pictures of an Amish person. Sad, just plain sad what one will do for personal gain.

    Have a beautiful weekend.
    Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just awful about Jerry's betrayal to your family. But, the pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by Lillian's blog and your well wishes. We so appreciate the prayers. I will enjoy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most Amish people don't care if someone takes their picture and publishes it but to be lied to is another story...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for the betrayal I really like the photos though, I especially love the children along side working or watching. That's very special, not many people really take that time. Most parents I know ship their kids to daycare from birth, then public schools and on it goes. I chose to homeschool and people in my family and some friends don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry for the betrayal I really like the photos though, I especially love the children along side working or watching. That's very special, not many people really take that time. Most parents I know ship their kids to daycare from birth, then public schools and on it goes. I chose to homeschool and people in my family and some friends don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry for the betrayal I really like the photos though, I especially love the children along side working or watching. That's very special, not many people really take that time. Most parents I know ship their kids to daycare from birth, then public schools and on it goes. I chose to homeschool and people in my family and some friends don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trust is a gift, but once we have been betrayed it must be earned.
    Getting past the sorrow and anger we must forgive.
    The pictures are nice to have and I'm sure they hold some precious memories as well as the sad one.
    This is a good post and I'm sure will help us all to remember the importance of honesty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sad story. I did enjoy the pictures, though. His work was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now, you're probably glad you have these pictures to share with your children. But at the time it happened I could understand the sting and hurt of Jerry's dishonesty. Like someone above alreay mentioned, most anyone (though not all) will do anything to make a story. And that's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just can not abide dishonesty! For shame to lie like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for stopping by my blog! What a story! I enjoyed reading it and look forward to more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unfortunately,respect for others is severely on the decrease nowadays and it seems money,more often than not speaks volumes for those who wish to reach their goal as it appears in this post,regardless of the truth and the feelings for your family members.It is very sad.I understand the Amish referral to the Commandments regarding having your photograph taken being vain.I have heard it is thought by some to "steal your soul".Yet,I've seen many Amish homes with mirrors in them which confused me somewhat and I have often wondered how one feels when you see your reflection in a window or in a pool of water.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to be a professional photographer, this Jerry was very unprofessional to lie and then to make a false story.
    I once took pictures for a CD cover for our pastors father who played the glasses. I took a picture of just his hands and the glasses for the CD cover, it was very nice. Other pictures showed his whole person and his daughter in law who played the piano for them. These were pictures they requested.
    The difference between Jerry and others is that others follow a higher standard than Jerry did. I am sorry he did this to your family.
    debbie
    come visit my blog sometime and leave a comment. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your family had a right to feel betrayed. Jerry is the type person I don't believe I would want to ever get to know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, that Jerry! What a selfish guy. Ugh. But I do think the pictures of your dad are treasures...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks to you and your kind comment on my blog I have now been led here. I will be following your blog now. I've just returned from a trip to Pennsylvania and was thrilled with the beauty of that Amish country. Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are providing a glimpse of real life in the Amish world. Most of us know little or nothing about that life. Fascinating and touching reading. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for commenting on my blog. You have a lot of interesting stories here! Fascinating to read them. I would like to hear how and why you left the Amish...do you have a link or links to that?

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's terrible that someone would lie and take advantage just for their own personal gain. But such is the way of the world. It was nice of you to share the pictures with us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! I'm new to your blog today and have been reading it for the past 30 or so minutes. I really enjoy your stories! I'll look forward to following along! God Bless You!

    PS: You're going to have to let us all in on the next memory of LV...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for sharing your pictures with us, even though the way they were obtained was dishonest. I look forward to reading more of your blog. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Trusting people is a hard thing for me to do..There are so many people that will lie right to your face.. They will answer for it one day..

    ReplyDelete
  28. I understand that at this point in your life, having those pictures is a treasure, but you'll always get that knot in your stomach about how it was all gone about. Feeling taken advantage of is the WORST. I hope Jerry moved on and your friends quit using him after that. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have relatives who live like the Amish so I can understand how hurtful this man was.My relatives would have felt humiliated if that had happened them, especially as they avoid cameras.Your poor dad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.