Friday, July 27, 2012

Wacky Cake

We all love chocolate cake and this recipe happens to be one of our favorites and since it is so simple Rosebud doesn't have a problem making it by herself. I think the name suits the cake since everything about making it seems a little wacky but it tastes absolutely delicious!



Wacky Cake

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 cups cold water

In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.  Add vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water. Mix well and pour into a 9 x 13 lightly greased cake pan. Batter will be very thin. Bake in a pre-heated 350ยบ oven for 45 minutes.

Cool and frost.

Frosting

1 cup softened butter
20 oz. powdered sugar
¼ cup milk
1 cup Nesquik chocolate milk mix

In a small bowl combine milk and ¼ of the chocolate milk mix. Add remaining chocolate milk mix ¼ cup at a time whisking well after each addition. Set aside. In a large bowl measure powdered sugar and softened butter. Add chocolate milk mixture. Beat for several minutes until light and fluffy.


This makes enough frosting to frost the sides of the cake as well but Rosebud wasn't really concerned about that so instead we are enjoying a generous layer on top.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Mmm! This looks so good! I will be making this to take camping this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No eggs? I will for sure try this. Looks so moist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Wacky Cake! This is a favorite recipe in my house because my oldest child was allergic to eggs for so long. Even though he has long outgrown that allergy, it's still my "go to" chocolate cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for a dessert for our 42 Domino group - this one looks perfect! I've saved it to my Pepperplate.com recipe keeper so my daughters can share it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the name and it looks delicious! If a fried tries and likes a recipe, I like adding to my "group" so this will def. be on next week's menu (maybe as dessert, maybe as the main course - ha ha). Thanks for sharing. What's even wackier is that mayonnaise cake recipe, but as soon as we took one bite, we knew it was a winner. Thanks for sharing ~ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this is a keeper. It goes by the name of Crazy Cake as well. I made one earlier this week for guests, and everyone always likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a cake named after me,lol. Looks and taste great Im sure. Richard

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure where this recipe originated, but my mother-in-law has had it since World War II. It's my father-in-law's favorite and had "burned butter" frosting underneath his candles for his birthday every year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is our favorite cake too because my younger two can't have dairy. You can subsitute vanilla and cinnamon/nutmeg in place of the cocoa powder to make a spice cake. We then top it with a powder sugar "icing" made with rice milk in place of cow's milk.

    We have also mixed it in a bowl and then poured it into cupcake liners to make a portable snack to take to the boys' classes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.