Wednesday, July 6, 2011
One of her favorite things to do was sit in the sink to splash in water on those hot summer days. I always stayed right next to her as she splashed to her hearts content.
One hot and humid day followed the next and her time spent in the sink increased to several times a day. One afternoon she was once again splashing away when a thunder storm approached. She wasn't ready to get out of the water and so I simply closed the window and stupidly allowed her to continue playing.
A minute later when another bolt of lightening flashed even closer Sunbeam catapulted out of the sink as if she had been shocked. I felt like a horrible mother as I picked her up. I wished she would cry as she simply lay limply in my arms.
A visit to the doctor confirmed that she had indeed been shocked by that lightening. She soon seemed to be okay and there was nothing else that we could do for her except not repeat that stupid mistake. I still feel horrible when I think of it and we now avoid all water during thunderstorms, both outside and inside the house.